1972 Ferrari Dino 246GT | FerrariChat

1972 Ferrari Dino 246GT

Discussion in '206/246' started by calder1, Jul 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    #1 calder1, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Specifications

1972 Ferrari Dino 246 GT "E" Series
    Chassis No.: *03978*
    Engine No: 135 CS 000 *0009726*
    Engine Type: Tipo 135CS
    Selling Dealer S.A.S. Motors (Roma/Bologna, Italia)

Description

FastCars, Ltd. has just completed a full service and detail.

$395,000.00

For additional information call Craig 310-937-6700
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Looking at the front - from the front - can someone please put a bit of weight on the leading left corner. That car is so gorgeous, but that front bonnet (non) fit jumps out like crazy.

That should be easy to fix - - right?

I would love to have that GT !!!

Cheers, Hank

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Not having seen this car in person, it looks awesome from the pictures.

I think what you are seeing is a shadow from the angle.

I don't think is a deficiency in the car.

Shawn

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    "03978" looks really nice. 23 cars away from mine ("03932")!

Freeman

5. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #5 hank sound, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    Hi Shawn,

With all due respect, to one (you) with so much more experience in dealing with the magnificent Dino, I still maintain that final assembly of the bonnet to the body of this particular car, could have been more precise. Look at it from the other photo angles - - It still looks off, and that is not the function of shadows.

It's just my film maker's perspective. And what I believe (my) fix to be, is just a simple adjustment. A bit of upward pressure here, and a pittance of downward pressure there, removes the avenues for all those duufus responses .......... (like mine) :):) Then, we can focus on the stunning beauty of the car (with no visual chicanes). It's all about "presentation".

Cheers,

Hank

6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Hank,

It looks, from the photos to be a really honest example in great iconic colors. I would be more concerned about the overall condition of the body and mechanicals. Matching numbers? How does it drive? Any history? Especially since it's Euro spec, how was it brought into the U.S.? I think the asking price is great value when you compare to other vintage Ferraris, Porsches etc that aren't as emotional or gorgeous. Very few good Dino GT's come to market in the U.S. I expect it not to last long.

Freeman

7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Freeman,

Yes, it's a beauty. But please try to understand where I was coming from. This was about the car's "presentation" - not about the car itself.

The damn front bonnet was off - - and I'm not going to back down regarding that.

If you're on the "red carpet", just how do you want to be seen?

Cheer, Hank

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #8 synchro, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    This car looks fantastic - yellow is actually a tough color to mix correctly and this looks right on

IF i was allowed a bit of review, I'd note that in the engine compartment to the right of the coolant overflow tank is a beige device that looks like a US version vapor recovery valve on what appears to be a Euro version car. The alternator fuse box is not seen, the oil recory tak appears black, the right carb is missing its "Ferrari" tag, the dipstck shaft is black, the clutch assist double spring is black and I can't tell but the carb accel rod return spring may not be coming off the "L" tab on the rear cam cover nut.

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    For me, the foundation has to be right, like a good script.

Freeman

10. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Bonnet is not off, I'll take another photo and post it in the next day or so

11. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Scott - how about the lower front valance - seems from an early M? Should this car have the "round" intakes on either side?

Pietro

12. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Pietro, I recently sold 03964, and it had the same rectangular lower intakes. The front pan configuration changed to the round air intakes with the introduction on Euro cars of the "cut-off" front bumper blades, and the "two-post" front blades on U.S. cars. The rectangular openings on this car are correct, I believe. Fred

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I find it a real shame that a dealer who is a forum sponsor must struggle with all this endless nit picking when they present a car for sale. It is not being advertised as a ready for the lawn Pebble Beach special and looks to be a nice and tidy car with no major items off. Price also seems in line with current market conditions.

From my observations the nose is totally correct, the bonnet is likely ok but could be easily fixed in a couple of hours if it were off. Also the throttle return spring is present, the dipstick tube should be black, & I have seen black clutch return springs from factory. I could point to a dozen minor detail items I see as off but I really don't see the point. The seller is presenting the car in a reasonable fashion at a market correct price. Let's cut him some slack as he is not over-representing the car and in need of a reality check.

14. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Thank you, i actually took a while to decide if I even wanted to post here. I actually know those items are incorrect in the engine bay but this is a consignment car and is being sold as is with a service from us. I am well aware of how these cars should be, I have 8 of them in the shop right now

15. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Tough crowd. (I 100% agree with Rob/Nuvolari).

Might as well start complaining that you don't like the color, that you'd love it if it were pink, too bad that it doesn't have FERRARI badges all over, and the left rear tire needs exactly 2.17503 more pounds of air pressure . . . . :)

Come on guys, the car is what it is, and if I didn't have my Dino, I'd sure think about trying to buy this one.

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Agree!

Freeman

17. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    First off, I want to apologize to Craig - - for walking, no stomping into his china shop like a bull. And I apologize to all you guys for making you waste time responding. Yes, I believe I saw something that jumped out at me. And I know it's not a big deal, but instead of jumping into the thread, I should have PM'd - that would have been much classier.

We live, learn and get stronger.

Again, sorry guys.

Hank

18. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Fred - thank you for the clarification - I asked because I didn't know - no intentions of bashing here either.

Cheers

Pietro

19. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Hank,

We appreciate your words. Looking at this Dino and the price being asked made me think about Peter Egan's March 1985 R&T article "Dino-Car Of The North" https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/attachments/206-246/1575136d1345998867-246-dino-r-t-article-dino-car-north.pdf . That article explains our love affair with the Dino!

Freeman

20. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Thanks and let's move on

21. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008