Dino pouch on e-Bay | FerrariChat

Dino pouch on e-Bay

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4redude, Jul 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
  2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    interestingly, it was listed on ebay by same seller 9 yrs ago.

3. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
  4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ what about this scenario....
    seller wants $200k for car. buyer offers $170k. seller says, at that price i keep the books and/or tools. buyer says, fine, i dont want those. deal done.
    now, whose to blame? cheapskate buyer that will not pay up to keep everything together or greedy seller who will not eat the cost of those accessories?

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Notice there is a specific statement about the current owner.....

I have had several situations where I bought stuff in a "collecting" area. As a ridiculous Dino guy, I always look at ANYTHING DINO......

The fact that a Dino owner isn't interested in buying JUNK is not a surprise.......

JUNK like this is super cool.....

Shawn

6. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    I believe Shawn has highlighted a critical point. If the current owner of the car doesn't want to buy the pouch and the associated contents that came with the car when new, the current owner of the pouch and its contents isn't obligated to give them to him for free!

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the current owner may have a set already. but, what if the car was for sale today with the books and tools and were part of the price negotiations? what if car goes to auction and doesnt meet reaserve and they become part of the price negotiations?
    there is no guilty party in those situations imho.

8. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    There is a great pouch and set of books coming up for sale at the Bonhams Scottsdale auction on January 15th.

The pouch and books are for an early "L" series Dino. They are going to be sold as part of a package deal which includes a complete toolkit, complete jack bag and a CAR!

See the link below for details.

Bonhams : 1969 Ferrari Dino 246 GT Series L Chassis no. 00542

I couldn't resist. Please forgive me. :)

Keith

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    beautiful car! noticed your toolkit has gedore wrenches. very nice.

10. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Thanks.

11. antmaggio

antmaggio Karting

Aug 19, 2009
    canada
    Full Name:
    Anthony Maggio
    07904 is my car.
    someone who I don't want to mention called me on it and wanted 15 grand for it.

12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Interesting that a dealer is offering the set. I wonder if the car passed through that dealership at some point?

13. antmaggio

antmaggio Karting

Aug 19, 2009
    canada
    Full Name:
    Anthony Maggio
    It did back in 1996

14. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    see, bad karma....understanding all the other "rationalization" of 'why' pouch may be for sale separate from car. Just can't outrun the juju !

However, it does seem to be priced below 15K,

Jack

15. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    I'm sure some dealers could choose to remove documents from the car and then sell them separately, unbeknownst to the buyer. Others might agree to a buyer's low ball price for a car, provided it excludes the extras like the pouch.

I think one needs to know the story before we call a dealer's integrity into question but it seems suspect at first blush.

As for the price, $15K seems high but this stuff is fetching bingo numbers so I'll be interested to see where the bidding stops.

My $0.02.

16. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It would be interesting to know when the docs became separated from the car.

These days the docs have significant value and one is careful to look for them, but once upon a time no one cared about them. They probably got separated from the car when a seller couldn't be bothered to dig thru his closet to find them before he left the car at the dealer.

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Auction closed early, item is no longer available.

18. antmaggio

antmaggio Karting

Aug 19, 2009
    canada
    Full Name:
    Anthony Maggio
    Just an update.
    Ive made a deal to purchase the docs.
    They will be back in the car after many years in the next few days.

19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Since the auction has ended and the books finding the right home, it seems all is good.

One thing I feel is important to mention is the fact the way this situation created a debate about owner documents.

In all fairness to the seller, I think at least a small bit, if not more, has been misrepresented here.

The seller didn't separate the car from the books. Yes, he had the same source for both, but not at the same time. I am not defending Bill, I am just stating what I know based on years of communications about Dino items.

The number quoted in this thread, I have no idea where or when that came from. I do know I was offered, when I pushed the issue, the set at a number SIGNIFICANTLY smaller, but he was trying to reunite them with the car.

At the number quoted to me, I would have lunged at the set if it was my car, but that is me, and we know I am crazy when it comes to this stuff.

At the end of the day, it seems things worked out, but the image created of someone trying to exploit a situation is COMPLETELY unfair and not correct.

No offense to Tony, but I felt it would be unfair for me not to comment about my experience sitting quietly on the sidelines.

Shawn

20. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Nice, I'd say that's a success!