The lost art of Dino long distance driving | FerrariChat

The lost art of Dino long distance driving

Discussion in '206/246' started by ghenne, Jul 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    #1 ghenne, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    These days, when Dinos tend to be driven on and off trailers, it's easy to forget what great road cars they are, especially for long distances.

When I was invited to show my cars at ConcoursUSA, about 300 miles (500 km) away, I looked forward to the drive. I've done a number of long drives over the years - a few over 600 miles a day, and I knew what a pleasure it would be.

Getting ready mechanically was straightforward. I had the shop check it over and give me a spare engine fuse (the one that is on the firewall). I also had them glue the vent window latches back on, in case it rained.

Long distance traveling in my Mercedes is better in 3 ways: it's quieter, I can hear the radio, and there's a GPS to keep me on route. Could I make up for that? Yes.

First, I needed a way to mount an iPhone. Sticking it to the windshield didn't look like it was going to work. The angles are wrong and I'd lose too much visibility. Plus, there would be a charge cord getting in the way of shifting. Instead, I found a gooseneck mount for a phone that plugged into the cigarette lighter, with a USB plug for charging.
    Universal USB Power Dock Pro Flex | Bracketron

That worked fine. I used a bit of sandpaper to clean the contacts on the lighter so there was good contact. The phone on the end of the gooseneck flopped around until I fastened the mount to the handbrake using a rubber band.

Next step was earbuds. There was no point in trying to put in speakers to drown out the noise of the wind and engine. Instead, I went with noise reducing earbuds. I used the Sennheiser MM 70i, which seem to reduce outside noise by about 20db.
    Sennheiser MM 70i - Stereo headset for iPhone? - Integrated volume control, Call control, Foldable, Closed acoustic design

The effect was miraculous. The background noise of wind and engine was greatly reduced. I could still hear cars and sirens around me: they were at a pleasant volume, not loud. I could hear the instructions from the GPS clearly as well as music or podcasts. At street speed, talking on the phone was fine. At 80mph (130kmph) talking on the phone was marginal, though it was easy to hear the other person. Siri even worked.

Here's how the setup looked:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jakuzzi likes this.
  2. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    #2 ghenne, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    Part 2:

With a full tank of gas and a clean windshield, I set out. The trip there was completely uneventful. I was able on sit back and enjoy the drive. I settled into a speed of 4000 rpm (I'm too tall to see the speedometer): that works out pretty close to 80 mph or 130kmph. All the gauges settled down to good values.

You'd think that a seat with only one adjustment and minimal padding would get uncomfortable. It isn't, at least for me. The angles are just right. The dead pedal is perhaps the right width for a size 7 Italian loafer: it's too small for my sneakers. A minor complaint at best.

There's no air conditioning in my black on black car, but with the vent windows wide open there is lots of breeze.

I got there on a single tank, which worked out to 18mpg (7.65 kpl), not bad at all.

The show went well, but it's not part of this story. It was scheduled to end at 4PM, hot and muggy. I looked at the radar: thunderstorms were on the far side of Ann Arbor. I left the show grounds a few minutes before I was supposed to beat the inevitable traffic jam. 300+ cars, 1 narrow exit road.

Raindrops started right away. I tried to close my vent window: the latch fell off right away. I reached over to close the passenger window: same thing again. Everything normal.

With the storms coming from the west, I headed east. Drops would appear now and then, but I stayed ahead for a few hours.

Just as the sun set, the storms caught me. Lighting and torrential rain. I felt like I was in a Donzi on Lago di Garda in a thunderstorm at night. Waves from passing cars washed over the little Dino. I could feel the tires digging through the river of water on the road. The headlights were as useless as always.

But the handling of the car was great. The Dino gives such direct, complete feedback about what is it doing that I felt more in control than with any other car. Even in those rotten conditions, it was a thrill to drive.

I got home in one piece, 5 hours after setting out. What a great drive!

qvee likes this.
  3. Renato

Renato Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2013
    New York
    Sounds like the drive to and from was the fun part! These cars beg to be driven, I'm guilty myself of taking my car only short distances and need to plan some sort of long distance road trip.

Thanks for posting!

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    How did you work the cigarette lighter angle? Is it a different type of lighter, as the original ones do not allow for plugging anything in except smokables...

Kudos on your great drive!

Regards, Alberto

5. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    well done !!!
    a Dino needs to be driven.....

Jakuzzi likes this.
  6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #6 TTR, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    Please excuse any unintended sarcasm, but as someone who truly enjoys long distance vintage driving and does it as often as possible (few thousand or so miles per year) with variety of vehicles from early '30's to '70's, including upcoming (and highly anticipated) annual 1000+ mile round trip (mostly scenic back roads/highways and this time with an early '30's Roadster) to Monterey in couple of weeks, I'm just curious if "the lost art of driving a vintage car" in itself could now be considered so uninteresting or unpleasant experience that all this modern gizmo stuff is needed to provide adequate distraction from it ?
    Yet, my hat's off to any one who's willing/able to enjoy their vintage car(s) by actually driving it/them, with or without pads/pods/gizmos. I admit I do carry a cell phone, in case of an emergency, but prefer to keep it turned off during my vintage enjoyment/driving and I prefer to exercise my brain to find my way around with occasional assistance from old fashion map.
    Timo

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #7 synchro, Jul 28, 2014
    +1, good catch Alberto!
    I've never been able to use a power cord in my Dinos' cigar lighter either

I prefer a Garmin on the left side of the windshield, it tells you Nav data and also your speed should you need to be accurate around cops. I run a power line from under the dash up the A pillar. I have gone up/down teh West Coast 6 times in my Euro Dino and would not hesitate to do it again, but i do carry a travel kit of tools/spares.

For any trip I would buy a modern 60 Amp fuse + holder from a stereo shop and use that. It is more accurate, preserves the original expensive unit, and takes seconds to move the connecting wires to the same sized blade connections
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/206-246/189438-dino-diy-alternator-fuse-box-modern-replacement.html

Jakuzzi likes this.
  8. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    #8 ghenne, Jul 28, 2014
    Here's a picture of the lighter and the plug that goes into it.

It didn't work for me until I used sandpaper to clean the contacts.

9. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Looks like a replacement lighter receptacle to me. Wrong interior diameter, contacts wrong. The lighter receptacle did one thing only - an element at the bottom heated up enough to light a cig placed in it, and that was it. The receptacle could not accept any regular lighter plug.

10. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Hmmm... wonder when it was fitted. It currently has the common style where you push in a button - it pops up 30 seconds later. Remove and use it to light your cigarette.

11. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Dug out the insert: sure enough, it's marked 72 Casco 12V. Looks like a previous owner fitted it. I have the service records going back 35 years - there is no mention of it.

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #12 swift53, Jul 28, 2014
    This is what you need...:)

Regards, Alberto

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    LOL. I hope you realize "this" could lead to serious chain smoking addiction.

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Alberto,

What are you smoking to have that many lighters?

Shawn

15. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I am confused by your post (I admit to get periodically confused by many other things too). Are you saying that he needs these to replace the receptacle AND that there is an appropriate plug that will allow you to connect an iPod or a radar detector to the original factory style plug? Or, are you saying that these plugs will replace the original ONE PURPOSE ONLY plug and receptacle?

16. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Hey - that's my old 246GTS (black interior) with me in it!

17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    :)....

Regards, Alberto

18. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    This type, is the original Brico lighter that belongs in a Dino. No provisions for Ipod, pads, or detectors.
    Only smokables of the proper length, otherwise it will smoke it for you ;)

The normal lighters that you will find in all USA cars are not correct, but if you prefer them, they can be installed.

Regards, Alberto

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #19 synchro, Jul 29, 2014
    Having put more miles on my Euro Dino than all other prior owners combined I have developed a travel kit of spares and tools from lessons learned by myself and issues gathered from others; accelerator cable, alternator + belt and Neiman key ignition contacts are the top of that list. It is realtively a compact kit for space in the Dino trunk is tight.

The kit has facilitated trips over 1200 miles from home for months at a time
    Here, the accelerator cable was used, a big Thank You to OMGjon for use of his lift to get the final last minor adjust of the cable length just right.
    Kira brings her own glass cleaner :)

20. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    If I'm traveling with my wife, the spare tire gets replaced with a spare-tire-in-a-can, so there is more room for shoes. I've stopped asking why so many.

Wrap all luggage in plastic garbage bags so it doesn't smell of fumes on arrival.

qvee likes this.
  21. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

And, that often isn't enough.

22. psykosis

psykosis Karting

Feb 22, 2004
    #22 psykosis, Jul 29, 2014
  23. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #23 Simon1965, Jul 30, 2014
    I couldn't agree more with the view that people should drive these cars. I'm currently sitting on the shores of Lake Como after driving our 330 GT from the UK. More than 1000 miles Will be driving back this weekend. See photos attached.

qvee likes this.
  24. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    That beautiful lady in that beautiful car on Como and your best photo is of a chain link fence? How 'bout a lake or villa in the background?

25. Nickrry

Nickrry Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    #25 Nickrry, Jul 31, 2014
    The occupant is not as attractive but the background is Bellagio ,Lake Como a few years back. Just under 3000 miles. the best bit was driving back from Lake Lucerne Switzerland to North of England in a day - over 800 miles. I felt fine when I got home until I got out of the car and realised I was half deaf.

DrDweeb likes this.