246 for auction at Silverstone Classic | FerrariChat

246 for auction at Silverstone Classic

Discussion in '206/246' started by ryanbushell, Jul 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryanbushell

ryanbushell Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    #1 ryanbushell, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Two Dino's up for auction at the Silverstone classic, photos shown below that I took at the auction. The yellow one looked very very nice, paint and interior were superb. The red one wasn't as good. However, the red one sold and the yellow didn't.

1971 Ferrari Dino 246 GT - Silverstone Auctions

1972 Ferrari Dino 246 GT - Silverstone Auctions

FYI there was also a 308 GTS carb car for sale. It had some flaws including a door that wouldn't close properly, the passenger door that was out of line at the sill, a dubious service history and a few other minor issues, but it sold for £82k including premium!!!

1979 Ferrari 308 GTS - Silverstone Auctions

Will carb 308's take after the Dino and surge upwards in value? Only time will tell....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Something seems amiss on the 71 (yellow) Dino. It's SN 01846 (M-series), but the engine looks like an E-series (dual oil filler caps). Some of the hoses are wrong too, but that's nit picnicking.

3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

And we're the best at it! ;)

OMG!! I just noticed that chrome gear shift knob and the mincing horsey on the steering wheel hub. Throw that Dino back in the barn!!!

4. ryanbushell

ryanbushell Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    The wheel on the red one is wrong aswell. Looked like a 250 wheel to me

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Ignoring the details Ron does have a point that the dual filler cap engine seems off on the yellow car. A wrong colour bolt is one thing but a whole engine may be cause for concern.

6. go.911

go.911 Rookie

Dec 30, 2008
    Nuernberg - Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus Schenkl
    #6 go.911, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was in Silverstone at the auction....

The red car was quite ok. Sure the steering wheel wrong and the rims in poor condition - these are small things to do. The Body of the car seems to be really good. Straight lines and cabs, Doors were fitting perfect. The worst was the painting. on several places the painting is going in a kind lagre very flat bubbles. I measured the coating thickness and the were a lot of repaints on the car (around 900 mmm). The car would need a bare metal respray definitely. But a really good base. I was the second bidder...

The yellow car was - somebody else there called it Micky Mouse Restoration - really a nightmare. The painting quality was quiet good and everything seemed to be new.
    BUT: The restoration was just done "alla gusto" nothing correct... Rims wrong (repro), Steering wheel new Momo Prototypo, some not authentic Daytona seats (Daytona was possible from VIN 04500 around) and many other things. Repro Parts everywhere. The car was originally Azzuro Dino.... nice color but they did it yellow...
    Now the shocking fact: The car was not straight! On driver side the distance to the front fender was narrow, but on the right side it was much more narrow - nearly touching the fender! All gaps were bad. The doors were sitting really bad, the engine lid not sitting.....
    I don't know what they have done - Maybe the car had an accident or I don't know, but I can't understand why to spend so much work and money without bringing it in shape.
    All bids in the end were by phone... would be really bad surprise if you get the car.....

For sure I would pay more for the red car than the yellow!

Regards

PS: The doors were completely closed at the photos...

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    My lord, the yellow car has some major geometry issues.

8. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    According to the Sileverstone site, the red Dino sold for $303k. I am guessing that included the buyers premium.

What was the yellow car bid to?

9. go.911

go.911 Rookie

Dec 30, 2008
    Nuernberg - Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus Schenkl
    Yes the red was incl buyers premium 180.550 GBP

The Hammer on the yellow was 190.000 GBP - so is 218.500 GPB (367.600 USD) incl buyers premium. All last bidders were phone bidders. But was not sold. They were lucky...

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #10 tx246, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    What the .......?

Very strange

After looking at the add more carefully, the wheel issues is easy to see in hindsight. I hadn't noticed it before. I also think it is interesting that here are 5 pictures you can see that show the right front wheel AND only two the show the left front. All are from various angles so it makes it hard to gauge the level or the issue. I imagine this jumped right out at you in person.

11. go.911

go.911 Rookie

Dec 30, 2008
    Nuernberg - Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus Schenkl
    In the add you can see the door problem and even the engine lid that is looking like something open but is closed....