Master cylinder shims | FerrariChat

Master cylinder shims

Discussion in '206/246' started by possum, Aug 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    Is there any where I could get some already made up shims to go between master cylinder and servo unit?

2. shross

shross Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    No,

You need to make it. Start with some brass stock, try the diameter I suggested and then use a Dremel or something similar to shape it.

3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

[quotediameter Iss;143287889]No,

You need to make it. Start with some brass stock, try the diameter I suggested and then use a Dremel or something similar to shape it.[/quote]

What is this post about? Where's the starter thread? What does this have anything to do with Dinos?

What "diameter I suggested . . . ?"

Was this new thread intended for another section of CHAT?

4. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    I have a push rod problem with the master cylinder it is to long with no adjustment I tracked shross down via the internet as there was no reference in the 246 section I read his thread and made contact he suggested shims and I was asking if there might be off the shelf shims that would do the job instead of making one. Hope this answers your questions Regards JohnnoQuote:

5. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Possum can you not just shorten the push rod a few thou at a time till you get it right

6. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    Howard, it has a dome nut which is tightened down on the rod,it was mentioned in my search drilling down the tube which the rod slides into and removing a couple of thou that way I will post some pics to better explain.If you put in brake servo rod adjustment into google you will see how prevalent this is usually after m/c has been rebuilt. Cheers.

7. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    #7 possum, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    The more you persevere I believe the more you learn,can't down load pics from my phone for some reason so will try and explain.My problem is the length of the push rod is to long and should be adjustable couldn't budge the dome nut on the end of the rod so that's when I went down the shims path,I decided to have one more go of getting the nut off so I clamped the dome nut in the vice and placed the vice grips around the outer tube(the outer tube protrudes out of the servo with the dome nut on the end of it which actuates the M/C when you apply the brake).I started turning the grips Im sure some of you know what happens next,yes there is a threaded ADJUSTABLE rod inside the outer rod hence the term adjustable,have been able to shorten the length by winding it in,once I'm happy with the adjustment it can go back together.Once I sort out the phone problem I'll post some pics. Cheers

8. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    #8 possum, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017