Sill panel joint gap on Dino 246 L series | FerrariChat

Sill panel joint gap on Dino 246 L series

Discussion in '206/246' started by pshoejberg, Aug 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #1 pshoejberg, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Assistance is urgently needed again. My early 246 is soon going to the workshop for some corrective work on the sill panels and other body and chassis work. Can someone confirm the correct location of the sill panel joint gap on the L series cars; I have studied the compendium and the old spare parts assembly drawings and based on that I believe the gap shall be in the front end of the panel (See picture) and that there shall be NO gap in the rear end?
    Can anyone please confirm?

Best regards

Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Are you sure the early L-series had the same sill panel seams as the 206, since it has the steel body?
    I've only seen the vertical seam under the doors on these, see the brown L-series in the compendium.
    I have a drawing, photos and dimensions of that configuration if you need them. We reconstructed mine...
    regards, Andrew

3. per904

per904 Karting

Feb 28, 2009
    switzerland
    Hello Peter,

What is your chassis number? My 246GT (#00714) L-serie has no gap at all front or aft!

Regards,

Raymond

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    No Andrew I'm not sure at all, and the configuration you mention makes good sence. Looking at page 128 in the compendium I also believe that I now can see a joint below the rear end of the door. I will certainly appreciate the drawing and photos you are referring to. Maybe you can also illustrate how the joint is made?

Regards

Peter

5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Interesting....maybe your panel gaps have been filled up at some stage, according to the experts this happens frequently? My serial number is 00504.

6. per904

per904 Karting

Feb 28, 2009
    switzerland
    No. I bought the car new in march 1970 and it is still home!

7. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #7 GermanDino, Aug 11, 2014
    L-series have two slightly different bodies. The change was approx. at #00800.
    The main difference is the hole for the jack. Early L-series have it on the sill edge, late ones just below the edge.
    As far as I know no L-series had a seam in the front of the sill, like the 206 GT`s.
    Late L-series had just a vertical seam correctly discribed by Andrew. (like see picture of my GTS #06830 before restoration)
    Raymonds #00714 is still in untouched original condition. If he has no seam at all, that should be correct for early L-series.
    Raymond, maybe you can take a picture of your sill and post it here.
    Regards Matthias
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #8 pshoejberg, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    That was very great news guys.....and a close shave since my body work man was about to cut in the sills.....no need for changing the appearance of the sills on my early L series then, amazing how many details that's different on these cars!!!. Thanks to all for the clarification, MUCH appreciated. Raymond great to hear you still have a unmolested example there cannot not be many left; Good to know that we still have a untouched early 246 reference car.

Regards

Peter

9. per904

per904 Karting

Feb 28, 2009
    switzerland
    #9 per904, Aug 11, 2014
  10. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    great, thanks Raymond

11. PhatFrank

PhatFrank Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Norway
    #11 PhatFrank, Aug 11, 2014
  12. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #12 dgt, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    I looked through a pile of old photos and many L-series seem to have the seam filled in, if it existed at all. Bear in mind, the lapped joint is still be there on all L-series and the factory may have filled in the seam with lead on earlier cars which may have cracked the paint as the sheet metal flexed. A guess but it may explain the inconsistency.

Usually the lower portion of the sill panel just below the door edge is replaced during restoration so the door opening is intact. Sometimes they fold up the whole section over the door jamb, depends on the shop and how bad it was.
    So you might be able to find evidence of the seam where the overlap between the front and rear sill panel sections meet, just where the curve at the rear of the door just flattens out. Might need to dig around the filler.

There's a lap joint where the front sill section overlaps the rear 1/4 panel.
    The location is approx. 90cm to the front sill edge and 65cm to the rear sill edge, but best to locate it right where the rear door curve flattens out if totally reconstructing it.
    regards, Andrew

13. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    If you look in the 206 body manual, the rear 1/4 panel and sill panel to the front gap noted earlier is 1 piece (aluminum).
    The M-series body manual shows the steel rear 1/4 panel ending at the seam we're discussing and the front sill panel as a separate piece. (ok there is no L-series body manual but the steel body construction is similar to the M-series whereas the chassis has minor changes from the 206...)

So I don't believe early L-series had a different body construction in this regard than later L-series, just the seam might have been leaded over.
    Hope that clarifies my previous post a little more.

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    On 1104, there was lead in the seam, as that was practically all that was left, the sill(s) had practically been completely eaten away by the rust. We decided to skip the lead and did not apply the seam.

Regards, Alberto

15. jvj

jvj Rookie

Sep 18, 2009
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Is the gap from the jack hole centre to the sill seam on M series (Feb 71) similar to early E (Aug 71)?
    195mm on the GT I measured.
    Many thanks for help.

16. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi Vince,
    I checked my early E-series and it's spot on 195mm both sides as you describe.
    Regards and to the old home town (nth Adl),
    Andrew

17. jvj

jvj Rookie

Sep 18, 2009
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Thanks Andrew. PM me if you're ever down here.
    Anyone measured M series gap? Cheers, Vince