great site | FerrariChat

great site

Discussion in '206/246' started by rbsloan11, Sep 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rbsloan11

rbsloan11 Karting

Apr 25, 2007
    Carmel
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Nuvolari --- What a great website!! http://dino246blog.blogspot.com

I have followed the meticulous progress throughout the restoration of your car and now with the post-restoration articles (checking in on a daily basis for updates). What a great job you did regarding the recent weber tuning issue. Thanks for taking the time and effort to document the process of your meticulous restoration.

Rob

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Thank you very much for the kind words. The blog is our way of giving back to the huge number of people who helped us out with our project out of the goodness of their enthusiasm. Hopefully it will act as a guide to present and future Dino owners to both help them with their own hands on projects as well as to help them be informed in dealing mechanics and restoration shops. Whether you do the work yourself or trust others to do it for you we think it is of paramount importance to have knowledge as this is the best way to protect yourself from being taken advantage of.

3. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    Outstanding !

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Rob, Paul,

Really fantastic! It would be great if you created a simple "how to" book/manual that captures your journey and adventures with all the documentation, contacts, trial and error etc for the current or future Dino owner as a glovebox "must have" to compliment Matthias's Dino Compendium! Make it like the original blue workshop manual so it's possible to update with new pages.

Freeman

5. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    I have to say that the sight is a wealth of information we should all be thankful for.

Today with the help of Rob's sight I tuned all 3 carbs so they are now all synced PERFECT!!!!

Thanks Rob

6. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Thank you very much for the kind words...... our way of giving back to the huge number of people who helped us out with our project out of the goodness of their enthusiasm..... a guide to present and future Dino owners ........to have knowledge as this is the best way to protect yourself from being taken advantage of....

Truly a Labor Of Love and beautifully done.

Jack

7. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    simply the best...

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    You guys are being too kind. Today I put up the final blog post in the series of carburetor tuning. I realize that at the end of it I wrote a little book on the subject but hope that it helps more than one Dino owner get the most from the carburetion of their engine.

Running the stock jets with modern fuels leaves a lot of performance and driveability behind and we have found that with a little experimentation that the Dino engine is pretty peppy indeed. Many of the 'that's just the way they run' issues have disappeared with only a few dollars in jets. Best bang for your buck by far.

9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Good work and very well presented as normal. Can I ask a question though.

Why do you advocate pre start set up work by starting off with the air bypass screws closed,?I am not saying your method doesn't work but it can trip you up mid way.

My way of balancing air distribution systems is to start with dampers in the mid position so you have adjustment plus or minus to achieve the desired calculated flow rate.

I appreciate the carbs are a little different but the principle is the same, if you start with a closed jet you can only go one way ie plus and increase air.

I normally start with one half a turn out, this fine tuning screw can then be trimmed +/- to get all 6 pulling equally.

Tony

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Hi Tony

The advice I presented for setting the carbs is the distillation of the combined input of many different books, articles, and advice I have listened to over the years mated to some practical experience. I will not for a moment say that the way I presented is the only way as your technique also will yield the desired result.

The primary reason I advocate leaving the air correctors totally closed is because I do not view the air correctors as one of the 'adjustments' the carbs have but rather as a calibration tool that is generally a one time setting. By leaving them closed it allows you to see exactly how balanced the carb naturally is and reduces the number of air corrector adjustments to be made to a max of 3 rather than up to 6 by leaving them open.

Again I do not see any technical reason why your way is incorrect but I have found my approach to be simpler requiring less adjustments. A similar thing can be said of the technique I advocated for regulating the idle speed screws where there are 2 fully valid ways of doing it. I considered the method of using the linkage to be more logical and reflective of the final real world assembly. As always there is more than one way to skin a cat.

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks Rob

I agree with your method on adjusting the idle, this is by far the most effective way of doing them. Its not a process to rush as when you get it right the driving benefits are enormous. I am no way an expert on these matters so was just curious, its how we learn.

I take your point about less adjustments and this is sound engineering advice, however I found that if there is a minute discrepancy between what each butterfly pulls naturally (even when fully closed they will pull differently) then the AC screw will need to be adjusted, starting with it slightly open (1/2 turn out) gives you that tolerance to adjust +/-.

great article though, real dedication to take that trouble for everyone's benefit.

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1

The Compendium is wonderful and hugely detailed but it is not a restoration guide.
    Thank you for going the extra mile by creating this blog, but the task of writing everything up must be at least the same effort (or more) as performing the work.