Goodwood next friday | FerrariChat

Goodwood next friday

Discussion in '206/246' started by richardson michael, Sep 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Just a reminder that Bonhams have two DinoGT's on offer this week...Lot 210 (00696) and 273 (03048). Just now,on EB 00620 is offered at $495K,so it will be interesting to see the latest results.May I say that all of these are not exactly top quality? I believe Matthias is attending,so will be interested to get his feedback.

2. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Yes, I will have a look.....
    What I saw from pictures, #00696 looks very authentic, should be a very interesting matching no. car.... in Rosso Dino with very rare blu 135 vinyl interior....
    lovely 1970s colour combination.... should be a premium....

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    looking forward to it as well.

4. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Now how can an auction house make such a glaring mistake? Bonhams specifically calls out 3048 as an M-series Dino...

5. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    just a quick update on 00696.....
    a great car, I would say one of the very best untouched authentic Dinos I have every seen....
    it still is in it's original condition, just a Ferrari script was added in the 1970's, I would think shortly after delivery...
    even the wheel weight balance on the rims are still factory original...
    this car should go for the big premium to market price from my point of view.....
    the car to own for a collector who appreaciate the original condition and preserve it!
    has been driven for 35 years I would guess, 17000 Km on the clock are realistic
    such Dinos come very rarely to the market
    not a Dino for a driver.... a collection item!

6. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Matthias, you have our attention now!

If someone has photos of #00696, I'd appreciate seeing them.
    Thanks, Andrew

7. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    00696 sold for £315,100 including premium. 03048 sold for £203,100 including premium which is very low for a RHD UK GT in the current market.

8. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for the link Iain, hoping to see more details if anyone has some photos.
    This is a good buy. The tool kit looks good but missing a few tools from the roll, also the engine bay light was missing probably broke... was hoping to see which type was fitted.

9. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Out of interest Iain (I assume you were there?) how did the 308s fair?

10. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Matthias, What did you think of the rubber mats on the carpet?

11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    For future references back to this thread, this translsates into:

00696 at $512,258

03048 at $330,180

12. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    All the prices are on Bonhams site if you're that interested - apart from a couple of surprises they look a little softer than RM last week

13. dudlow

dudlow Karting

Feb 28, 2011
    Surrey UK
    I saw both cars, the blue car (03048) was priced about right in view of the condition, in my opinion.
    00696 was lovely.

The LHD black 328 looked a bargain........... and very nice. I should have put my hand up !

14. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Having started this thread,it is time to reflect on the results. I think Greyboxers assessment is spot on. The prices were a bit soft all round. Nothing to set the world on fire.However,I do not believe that is a sign that the classic car market is weakening,far from it. QUALITY cars will always make the money,and not necessarily under the hammer,but as mentioned before,by private trading. I just wonder that maybe ,there are beginning to be too many hyped -up auctions around the world,that confuses the marketplace.

15. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Rising prices like these bring all sorts of cars onto the market, not just the quality ones, so not surprising that there will be a range of results. It'll be interesting to see over the next few years whether the lower-end cars all get restored, and the overall level of quality keeps rising.

16. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I wasn't there so good to know Nigel, thanks. I'm worried though if you thought it was a fair price. That must mean it went for at least £50k under market value :D

17. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Sorry to disagree guys but the Rosso Dino was awful, the blue one was a much better buy.

I am not sure how original over spray on the exhaust is, but it looked pretty fresh to me. Clearly just had a tosh up to put it in the auction, hardly original and at £312k it wasn't worth that.

As far as dino prices go the blue one was the better one out of the two by far, it was on the money or a tad under, I would have thought the £240K region but I am no expert on these things whatsoever!!.

Didn't see any 308's at the auction but wasn't there all the time

18. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #19 dgt, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    I spent a couple of hours looking over the photos of #00696 yesterday on the auction website, which can be zoomed in alot to reveal many nice details.
    I thought it had original paint but seems it was repainted?... I was more excited about it before I read that.
    It does have almost all original parts and appear untouched.
    Tony, you're spot-on for a car to use and drive but for an earnest survivor collector I'm still not sure because of the possible repaint... might be better to sympathetically restore but everyone will have a different opinion on that.
    I hope it fell into the right hands and they'll get the best advice at any rate.

A few things I *really* liked on #00696:
    - original type wiper blades and arms.
    - original type coolant header tank cap.
    - The toolkit with as-new correct hammer and jack.
    - correct braided type long radiator hoses & clamps.
    - fuse board, untouched with all stickers.
    - original michelin X spare tire with correct valve stem, lead weights, date codes and tie down - this is exactly the same as the one I have on my car down to the lead weights so it was really nice to see that...
    - chrome rear view mirror is still on this S/N.
    - front radiator vent cover still in place.
    - round type hood/engine lid bump stops.
    - dashboard appears untouched?

I'm still not clear on the rubber mats in the carpet... looks like the early ones still.
    Please post more photos if anyone has some (I'm looking for more in the trunk and of the dashboard).
    Regards, Andrew

19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Andrew
    From a distance it looked very good but then things went downhill from there when you got a little closer, yes it looked original but oil and grease does not prove to me it is. The label was a teaser in my opinion and there is no way it could stay on that car for those amount of years. The cam covers were covered in oil and grime but the label was remarkably clean...how odd!!

I didn't delve inside the car as it was locked.

Seems rather odd someone would pay so much for an original car when it will clearly need a lot of work to put right. We all know what lurks underneath these cars.

If it sits in a collection and has a sign "how not to look after your car" then this will be a clear winner

Tony

20. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Is it just the lighting in the photos or is the paint quite dull on 00696?

21. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #22 GermanDino, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    a few more details about #00696
    what a great car that was....
    100% original, interior very good, maybe partly repainted in the early 1970s (difficult to say)
    but overall patina very nice apart from very few cracks in the paint
    I hope the car will stay in this condition, a restoration would destroy the value... as I only know about a second L-series being still in it`s original untouched condition, Raymonds #00714
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #23 GermanDino, Sep 18, 2014
  23. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #24 GermanDino, Sep 18, 2014
    the interesting part here, no stickers on coolant water tank and the air collection box....
    the topic was raised by Paul and Rob before...
    regarding 206 GT until early M-series I have seen both (no stickers or at least the one on the air collection box) at untouched cars or period pictures of test cars in magazines...

no clamp on the coolant water tank overflow hose (seen on all untouched cars and all period pictures!)

Foredit light was missing (broken), original cable still there....

most of the clamps still original, but not all

24. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #25 GermanDino, Sep 18, 2014