Dino Day at Collector Studio Toronto | FerrariChat

Dino Day at Collector Studio Toronto

Discussion in '206/246' started by CollectorMorry, Sep 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    interesting choice of license plate frame on the coupe....

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I'm not sure what is so 'interesting' about it perhaps you can elaborate

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    black. shouldnt it be chrome with mounting screws located at the far corners?

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Not in 1971 for a Canadian delivery M series car. After all of our efforts we were not going to miss something so obvious.

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    of course not, but what are your references?

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    We spoke to the original mechanic and salesman on the car both of which claimed that there was no Ferrari issued plate frame and that they just fitted anything available or nothing at all. Also the physical evidence on the car showed only 4 original plate holes in line with the holes on the plate thus making corner mount studs impossible. Also we had access to another of the 6 Canadian delivery M series cars which also supported our evidence and lastly we have in our archives some period photos of a 3rd Canadian delivery M series car showing no corner mount plate frame and body holes in line with the plate holes. These photos I'll save for a doubting class judge at a concours or to refute more complete contradictory information than what I posted here.

8. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    it does not get better than that. the best!!!! congrats on those two beauties and thank you for posting. kind regards e

9. rosemeyer

rosemeyer Karting

Aug 13, 2010
    Thank you to Morry and Jeff for being great hosts and for the wonderful photos.

Best Regards,
    Paul

PS. We couldn't bear to drill holes for the plate frame so the whole assembly is actually held on with magnets. Works really well and comes off in seconds :)

10. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    lovely :)

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    should be a problem at concours since Ed Gilbertson said license plate frames shouldnt be judged. most cars left the dealers with that type of frame except they would have the dealers name on them. it was a cheap form of advertising. although most dinos are being restored now with the frames that have the corner stud screws. i have a dino test drive article that has a Griswolds frame. anybody know where that dealer was located?

12. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    i believe griswolds was in the s.f. area

13. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    US spec Dino's came with a factory frame for the standard US size plate. There was also a EURO spec style frame.

I am not disagreeing that dealers place there own frames on car.

The Factory US Spec frame has mounting bolts on the outside corners. They bolt in from the inside of the trunk. They do not make use of the standard US style plate holes.

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I was wondering the same thing, figuring it was a Carbon Fiber frame, or something, since I couldn't really see on my phone.

Once I figured out whose car this was, I had no need to question further. Hadn't put two and two together about the Toronto area....

15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    correction. my post should read. "should not be a problem".
    did dinos come with a cardboard box with the frame, mirror, pouch,etc in it?

16. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Not so easy to answer.

Most US Spec cars were shipped with this from the factory. How many of these boxes actually made it into buyers hands upon delivery is VERY SMALL.

17. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Griswold Company was at 1485 San Pablo Av. Berkeley CA according to the 1974 dealer directory.