Cracked | FerrariChat

Cracked

Discussion in '206/246' started by outofpocket, Sep 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. outofpocket

outofpocket Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    GD
    #1 outofpocket, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A few days after getting my car back from a bare metal respray a crack developed at the trunk (see photo). Anybody see this before? Is Italy common problem?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I'd send it right back and have them fix it.

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I agree. There is obviously no impact mark and at that point in the body you would normally expect a stress fracture in the apex where the vertical part of the body met the horizontal plane that the trunk covers. A fracture along the outside edge like we see here is very strange indeed. Before taking the car back take a good number of photos and document things as much as possible. Try using a magnet on the body in the surrounding area to get a feel for any body filler in the area. Also try to get a feel for how deep the crack is. The body shop may try to pass off a quickie repair but it is essential to determine the root cause before covering it up with paint. Best of luck

4. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Look inside the trunk underneath, is there a crack or a blob of bondo poking through on that edge?

5. outofpocket

Dec 6, 2007
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    GD
    Paint guy says that the metal cracked after he returned the car to me (less than a month) and that he is not responsible. Is going to charge me $225.00 to lead the crack and repaint.

6. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I'd pay him to fix it and never do business with him again.

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    My first red flag comes in that the 'repair' can be done for $225. Given the location and the amount of work it would take to do the job really properly I cannot see how you can do the job for that little money even if you consider that the shop is helping you out with the repair. Cracked metal a month after the re-paint screams to me that the body was not properly inspected for faults when the paint was off of it. More common than you think but in the end it is you that gets screwed.

8. outofpocket

Dec 6, 2007
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    GD
    Actually it was $425.00 which included leading the crack. I told the fellow who painted it that I wasn't happy about paying anything but just get it over with I offered to pay 1/2. And I won't be back!

9. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    At $425, that still sounds REALLY cheap considering the scope of work.

I think it is premature to pass judgment about the quality/integrity of the shop without knowing what he was originally tasked with.

It could be that what ever was done was incorrect, but it could also be a low cost "repaint", which could explain more.

Regardless, I would have the repair done, even at $425, just to match the paint.

Shawn

10. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    He skimped on preparing it the first time, won't stand behind his work and charges you $425 to repair his craftmanship?
    wtf?
    If his work is this wonderful a month after the paint job, how many more repairs in the next few years will you need to pay for?

Please name the shop that performed this job