tearing my hair out..... | FerrariChat

tearing my hair out.....

Discussion in '206/246' started by yakxx21, Sep 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    My 246 ..has heads just rebuilt...compressions all good...plugs good timing marks spot on..BUT seems to be only running on 5 and a half cylinders...and when I short out plugs one at a time I find that number 4 does not change tone at all....ie its not pulling its weight.
    the other clue is that when I adjust the low mixture screw...I can get all of them to respond ( about 1.75 is good it seems) except carb nearest cylinder number 4 ...I can screw it all in or out and it does little...carbs were rebuilt ...but only a clean up job.....
    any ideas anybody ....??

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The very first thing I would check is the idle jet for the #4 cylinder. If it is plugged then the idle mixture screw would get no fuel and it would explain why it is not responsive to changes. Remove the jet, blow it out with air and put it up to the light to see if it is blocked at all.

Outside of that you will want to remove the top of the carb, check the float heights and look for dirt in the float bowls that could cause a jet to clog.

Lastly with the carb off use a straight edge to make sure that the base of the carb is perfectly flat. A warped base could cause an air leak and therefore a running problem. Carbs are not a black art or require any magic. ANY problem can be traced back to a mechanical fault so it is important to find what part of the chain is broken.

3. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Good advice, Rob, which I will note too. Many thanks.

Andy

4. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Does the bad cylinder have any vacuum hoses to it that are not connected or leaking and just bypassing the carby?

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Do a running compression test. Take the shader valve out of the adaptor, and start the car. Compare the readings to a known good cylinder. The reading will be lower then a static test when running, so will will need a constant to compare the readings.

6. Cessna150dip

Cessna150dip Rookie

Jan 12, 2014
    Why take out the shader valve ??? Tried that but it just jumps all over the place ....I mean oscillates with each compression at a high frequency ????