L Series Handbrake Console | FerrariChat

L Series Handbrake Console

Discussion in '206/246' started by swift53, Oct 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #1 swift53, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks to Andrew, who most kindly lent me an original "L Series" handbrake console, and after replicating it, I am really curious to the purpose of the noticeable difference in shape, from other series, mainly behind the rear hand brake opening (left side) and ahead of same (right side).

This, not taking into account the different handbrake lever location.

Anyone?

Regards, Alberto
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Hi Alberto:

I'm not sure I fully understand your question.

I will say that on an "L" series car, the choke lever sits in the console behind the rear hand brake opening (and not on the dash). There is also a foot rest bar on the passenger side of an "L" car and so the tab on the right side of the console piece is located so that it doesn't interfere with bar's mounting point.

Does that answer your question?

3. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #3 swift53, Oct 5, 2014
    Keith, possibly the first photo is not very clear, but, whereas other series handbrake consoles are smooth on their sides, this one has two indentations.

My question is, does it have a functional purpose, or is just design?

As I have not installed, or much less upholstered, I haven't a clue.

Regards, Alberto

4. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    As soon as I can get to my car, I will lift the carpets and snap a photo of what those indents are for.

Stay tuned, may be a while.

Cheers,

Keith

5. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    it`s for the screw to fix to the floor....

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you Matthias, but that is not what I am referring to.
    They are the 90 degree turns on the vertical, not the horizontal, where the screws are applied.

Regards, Alberto

7. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #7 dgt, Oct 11, 2014
    I haven't had this console in the car for a long time but the indent may be a left over from the 206? Maybe clearance to the seatbelt buckle or access to the fixing tab on the floor.
    Keith, Alberto hasn't cut the choke slot but it's in the original, see below. The early rear console sitting over the later one.

Alberto, once again thankyou for replicating these - as you know my original is so brittle it's only usable as a pattern and hopefully another restorer can use these.

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    You are welcome Andrew, your old one is restored, and your new one is in the photos above.
    We made four more in case they might be of help to someone doing a full restoration.

The originals were really crappy quality, and very fragile at best. Small wonder they broke so easily. It would be rare to find them without the mounting ears broken, or further damage. Passengers would use them as resting points to get in or out of the cars with the inevitable breakage.

The choke lever has not been cut out, as very easy to do, and this way, less fragile in shipping.

I have one of each of all the possible console(s) versions available, so if in need, please pm.

Regards, Alberto