Oil level | FerrariChat

Oil level

Discussion in '206/246' started by Bobj, Oct 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Sorry if this has already been discussed but what is the correct process for checking the oil on a 246 gts?

Mine looks a bit high when cold. Prob about 1cm above the max. Is this likely to be a problem? I've probably done 300-400 miles in it since it was filled at service (not by me) - I was just checking to see if it was down on oil - obviously not!

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    That seems high, Bobj.

Andy

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Full is the top mark when warmed up. Looks like you're a bit above it.

If you've gone 300 miles without a problem, it's probably not a problem.

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    remeasure after warm.

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I would suggest reading the owners manual and following the suggested procedure for checking the oil. That will confirm if the car is overfilled.

6. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    I don't have one of these?

Is there a copy on line or failing that would anyone be able to tell me what is says?

Will check when warm, thanks for the posts

7. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Bobj, I'm away now and can't check the manual. However, I think what is important is that the oil be allowed to drain into the pan. That means not measuring right after shutting off. I would want 10 minutes. Anytime after that, the temperature of the oil shouldn't matter.

8. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    You can download an owners manual from this link All Ferraris towards the bottom of the page

9. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    That's a great site! Thanks for that!

Doesn't seem to say so I guess it's fine to check it cold in which case I guess I need to drain a little

Can't believe how much maintenance the car needs... Looking at this book it looks like a full time job if you were to do it yourself!

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Oil does expand when hot especially when you consider the almost 9 litres the system takes this expansion does have value. I check the oil when the car is up to temperature and immediately after shut down. Oil in the engine drains to the bottom almost instantly but the oil cooler takes much longer to drain which is why a cold check can yield an abnormally high reading.

11. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    ok thanks, that helps, will definitely check it warm before I drain anything then

12. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    l believe you're right, Nuvolari, regarding warm oil. l suppose the question really is what the dipstick is marked for. Ferrari tended to say ''warm" but most of the rest of the world specify ''cold." I must read the manual. In any event, Bob's high reading when cold seems to indicate a slight overfilling.

13. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

If you need to suck some oil out there is an easy way. Get some clear plastic tubing that fits down the oil dipstick tube. Save an old pump from a bottle of shampoo. Attach the tubing to the pump and you can suck a bit out at a time till you are happy. This is providing you do not have a dry sump.

14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Good idea, Glassman. l have one af those special.purpose pumps for draining through the dipstick hole (handy for boats), but yours should work as well.

Bobj's query wasn't a simple one, it seems. It will be good to pour in the prescribed (8 liters?) of oil, check the dipstick 1. cold, 2 hot immediately after shutting off, and 3 hot I5 minutes after. And compare.

l just serviced the Stratos and wish I Kept track of the quantity poured in (Redline comes in quarts , and I didn't convert to liters).

Andy

15. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #15 abstamaria, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    It seems then that, at least here in the tropics, it doesn't really matter when to measure oil.

To be perfectly sure, the best procedure would be to pour in the recommended volume of oil and then measure. The most consistent result should IMO be 10 minutes after shutdown - oil has flowed down, and the temperature is consistent.

17. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    "To be perfectly sure, the best procedure would be to pour in the recommended volume of oil and then measure."

This is what Dennis McCann told me years ago. He said the dipsticks weren't always correct.