removing USA smog equipment from a Dino | FerrariChat

removing USA smog equipment from a Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by jnk, Oct 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    What are then advantages and disadvantages of having all of the USA smog equipment removed during an engine rebuild.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Being that the Dino is now a collector or investment grade car they are worth far more complete and intact in every way including the smog equipment.

Have a look around. I doubt you will find a US version Daytona without all it's smog equipment installed.

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    From what I understand, if you show your Dino at an FCA concours they will deduct points and if you want to get Ferrari Classische Certified everything has to be as it left the factory. In both instances I don't think they need to be functional but need to visually be correct. Those parts are really valuable and can be hard to find. A good philosophy to consider is to make any modification invisible or easy (bolt on/bolt off) to reverse. Just my opinion.

Freeman

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sorry to prove you incorrect Mr. Crall, but surprisingly many around, some even within my arms reach. :)

To jnk: Only advantage might be slight weight loss and perhaps "cleaner" engine bay appearance, but all other things being equal, probably nothing noticeable performance-wise.
    And if removed, paraphrasing Mr. Cralls advise, do not discard any components or parts so they can be re-installed at later date, if so desired.

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Disadvantage to leaving it attached, I seem to recall, is the danger that the pump seizes with some downstream negative effect. I don't remember the details, but I think the smog pump seizing can be a real bummer to other major components.

OR do I have it confused with a 1971 MGB?

I think you can loop it out of the system with a shorter belt, and avoid any issues without physically removing it from the car. Or am I confused again with that dang MGB?

I know I messed with smog pumps on both cars, just been too long and I can't recall which pump was which anymore.

D

6. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Smog pump is driven off a coupling on the back of the special alternator. You can just remove the coupling half from the alternator and your no longer connected to the smog pump.

7. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    MGB pump seizing will trash the belt connecting it to the crank, but that's about it. It's much less sophisticated than the Dino's. And no one cares if you rip the smog equipment off the MGB :)

8. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My recollection is that removing the belt from a smog pump but leaving it attached to the exhaust manifold causes the pump to fill up with carbon and corrosion-inducing moisture from the exhaust, thus ruining it and causing the seizing mentioned.

If you never plan to ever attach a belt to it again that shouldn't matter, but then it wouldn't be correct for concours and you'd probably lose points. So you might want to leave it attached. It probably takes like 1 hp to drive it, so negligible on these cars.

My Dino is a Euro version, but did the US version have EGR? Depending on how it is done I believe that can affect the mixture.