Sticky plastic - bonnet, engine lid release lever bezel | FerrariChat

Sticky plastic - bonnet, engine lid release lever bezel

Discussion in '206/246' started by abstamaria, Oct 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I was opening the boot this evening, and a piece of the plastic surround for the release level fell off. The plastic had gotten sticky and probably will soon fall apart. I know the later Ferraris have the sticky plastic problem, but I thought our cars were immune.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a source for replacement parts? Is it a lot of work to replace? Sorry for the questions; I haven't had a chance to research. It just happened.

Regards,

Andres

2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Andres, I think Superformance sells the replacement brackets.

Regards, Alberto

3. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    When I purchased my GTS the plastic for the bonnet release was in pieces. I bought the replacement from Superformance. Their bracket is aluminum. My only problem was that the levers didn’t quite fit in the grooves. Fortunately, they are made of stainless. I was able to grind off a bit, then file and polish them back to a shiny finish. The good part is that the cables run in tubes. Those tubes start right behind the bracket. So, threading the cables is simple. Overall it's a fairly simple job.

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Many thanks, Alberto, Ken.

Best,

Andres

5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Finally we fit the new aluminium surround from Superformance. I had the same problem as Ken, as its slots were too narrow to accommodate the original levers. However, we filed the slots rather than the levers. The two screw holes also didn’t align with the holes in the panel, but the screws did go in. This left a small gap at the top of the surround, which I filled with a thin strip of foam rubber. It looks good, and all levers seem to work well.

I used the original cables, left in situ during the job.

How does one access the filler cap cable, by the way?

Andres

6. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    To complete the cable connection for the filler cap, you're best access is to take off the wheel/tire and remove the fiberglass inner fender. Practically impossible to do reaching over the fender.

7. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, Ken. Much appreciated.

Andres