No Drill Magnetic License Plate Mount | FerrariChat

No Drill Magnetic License Plate Mount

Discussion in '206/246' started by Nuvolari, Nov 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Once we finished our Dino we realized that we had to mount the rear license plate but could not bring ourselves to drill holes in the freshly restored sheet metal. Originally the cars left Ferrari with no holes and it was up to the dealer to mount the plate for the customer. Ferrari supplied no drilling specs which made for quite the variation in mountings between cars.

We wanted a clean install free of holes and decided that high strength magnets were the way to go. After quite a lot of experimentation we put together a kit that includes high strength rubber coated magnetic mounts together with a top quality USA made stainless steel license plate frame in either a chrome polish or semi-gloss black powder coat finish. Top it off with some nice period looking hardware and you have a nice slick install with no holes or risk of paint damage.

Of course we wanted to make these available and they can be bought at: Dino 246?Home in the store (about half way down the page)

Some more product info with lots of photos can be seen here:

Dino 246 Restoration Blog: New Dino246.com Product: No Drill Magnetic License Plate Mount

Hopefully these can help a fellow owner out. We have tested ours for over 1000 miles without the slightest hint of a problem.

2. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Rob,

That's a nice solution. Hold do you pry the plate off (without damage to the paint)?

On the the various styles of surround, do you know whether the larger 'square' frame - eg sold on S/Formance, was attributed to a particular market i.e. Euro?

Mine came drilled with this pattern (and is Euro) - and of course doesn't match the State required rectangular style.

Paul

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Paul taking the plate off requires nothing more than a firm pull. The magnets have a large surface area and are rubber coated to perfectly protect the paint. Also because the fit of the whole assembly is so nice and tidy nobody would have a clue that the plate is installed in this fashion making plate theft no more likely with this setup.

Regarding the holes in your car the square frame as you mention is for European cars and regrettably if you have those holes on your car it is hard to hide them with just about any other plate used in the world.

4. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Great solution and product guys.
    I had the plate holes filled in the back of #00962 in the hope these would be available so you have a sale here!
    To others: get it while you can, I've been waiting patiently for a front 'plateclip' which I was told will be manufactured again soon.

5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Interested in what grade of stainless steel you are using (4xx)

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Tony the frames are 304 stainless steel. Good enough for the cladding of the St. Louis Gateway Arch so it should be ok for a license plate :)

We have also amended our original blog post to show that we will include matching screw cap covers for those who prefer to hide their hardware. I personally like the look of the screws but other prefer them hidden so the covers give the option at no extra cost.

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #7 synchro, May 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Can't really tell from the pic...are those "dummy" bolt/screw heads on the frame?

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  10. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    A word to the wise, the screw cap covers are very delicate. One of mine is hanging on by a thread. But the whole assembly works and looks great.

11. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    I ordered one today! Can't wait to install it

Cheers

Pietro

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Thank you for the compliments on the product. All orders have been fulfilled which will make for some happy Dino customers. The plate is also great for car shows when you want to remain incognito for photos. Just pull off the plate when you park and put it back on when you leave.

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Pietro,
    You are going to enjoy this!

The single biggest deciding factor for me was the ability to easily remove it during washing to clean that sooted rear vertical.
    Carb'ed cars get dirty back there and that is just a natural fact on the Dino. Using this mag license plate mount lets you clean the whole panel; even behind the plate.

14. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I actually like the exposed slot screws but added a split washer on the back side of the plate per the instructions to keep the depth below the magnet mounting surface

15. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Waiting for my personalized plate to come - cant wait.

Cheers
    Pietro

16. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    #16 ENZOSON, Jun 14, 2015
    Great fit - perfect set up to solve my issue...

Holes on the car are drilled to fit 1976 Italian "square plate".. Magnetic frame allowed me to remove "adapter plate"....

Cheers

Pietro
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #17 synchro, Aug 26, 2015
    Sweet shots Pietro!

UPDATE:
    Anyone wondering if the magnets will hold on well should be assured that after my 2000 mile Monterey trip they did not move a mm. Unbridled driving did not shake them.

They also do not clean themselves ...
    :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    I received my magnetic plate holder and place them on 6 months old paint job.
    It made a very loud sticky sound wen removing. Leaving my paint perfectly unharmed.
    I got scared for a minute. To my surprise no problem

I went one extra step, I wrapped each magnets with filo cooking paper. Creating a thin soft film that helps with the sticky rubber on fresh paint.

I would advise people to remove once a month to make sure there is all if fine.

19. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Very cool. Now THAT is durability testing

20. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    @nuvolari do you have a magnetic solution to attach glass covers over the headlights?

If you read through feeds related to this, you will see there is high demand for this type of product. Few Dino owners want to drill holes in their cars to attach these covers, yet many owners, like myself, would love the flexibility of having covers on from time to time. A magnetic solution would also make it easier/quicker to remove the glass for cleaning and to improve visibility at night.

Many thanks!

CC