Media blast vs. Chemical dip | FerrariChat

Media blast vs. Chemical dip

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Nov 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I have always media blasted the Dinos I've had the pleasure to work on. I've never encountered any problems media blasting with the exception of a little warpage now and then. I have some friends who restore hot rods and they swear by chemical dipping. There is a place near me in Santa Ana, Calif that has been doing this for 40 years. I went up and talked with them as I have also heard horror stories!. They assured me all the chemical is neutralized and they have never had problems and showed me how amazingly clean the comes out after the process. I'm still very leary to try something new when the Media blasting has served me well. My painter has also been trying to push me in that direction. It is about a third of the cost to dip. Who out there has had experienced with chemical dipping. The place in Santa Ana is called Strip Clean.

2. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    I had my Dino doors dipped 25 years ago and had a good experience. However, I have seen a resto where the acid was not neutralized and it was not pretty. Lots of rusting in boxed areas. Fixable, but expensive.
    I think for the way the Dino was originally put together, poorly with no rust protection in the seams and folds, theoretically, dipping would be the best way to get back to "zero rust" without unfolding all the seams.
    Media blasting cannot access the many folded areas very well, or not at all.
    It would be fantastic if you could find a way to go a few steps further like the OEM's; dipping with a very thin and rust inhibitive primer process, baking, e-coat, etc..
    What do the dippers recommend?

3. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  4. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I had a car body dipped with great success for a resto a while back. If the place comes recommended, might be a good option.

Markl

5. rbsloan11

rbsloan11 Karting

Apr 25, 2007
    Carmel
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I am not sure if the Dino has any aluminum sections hidden inside the chassis (which was common place with other Italian companies of the era for structural support, i.e. suspension points). If so the chemical strip process will damage/dissolve those parts. I agree that the in the best of circumstances in an all steel chassis the inner parts of the frame are beautifully cleaned - but if they aren't accessed for sealing/priming - what is the benefit? I have heard that delayed corrosion/paint issues on the chassis can occur if traces of the caustic agents are left behind.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Interesting and valid points.
    Pete

7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #7 pshoejberg, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Keep on with the media blasting and save some money! The chassis is full of badly welded piping with leak holes leaving acid inside various voids and making it increasingly difficult to neutralize the acid subsequent. One of dipping companies in UK even warns about dipping a tube chassis (I considered strongly to dip my Dino...but dropped it after extensive investigation). Blast with care, low angle and leave roof and back end for manual cleaning to avoid stressing the plates. Dipping or not, you will need to unfold all seems anyway if you want to be absolutely sure that all corrosion is fixed. Lids and doors in aluminum cannot be dipped, as mentioned before and these components are often very rusty.
    I'm having fun right now unfolding my Dino...take a look at the original weld quality, it's unbelievable.....-:)

Best regards Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    My research showed that chemical dipping is best reserved for uni-body construction cars as they generally have drainage passages engineered into their design often times for dip applied coatings that are part of the original manufacture of the shell. In these instances dipping a car works great and it is possible to effectively neutralize the stripping fluids.

On a car like a Dino it was essentially a tube frame with steel panels welded on to it. No two cars are the same as during the welding process breakthroughs by the welder has all kinds of holes in the chassis that can allow dipping chemicals to pool and hide. The risk is very high that over time while driving this chemical will seep out causing a failure of the paint.

Dipping has its place and a Dino is not it.

9. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Great information! I will stick with what's been working. media blast!

10. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #10 GermanDino, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    water blasting is the new trend here in Europe.... very gently
    a must for aluminium bodies.....
    see #00306

11. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    Agree 100% with Matthias. Media blasting with abrasive media can also damage the top surface of the sheet metal (also by generating heat from the friction between the media and the metal). For aluminium bodies also in my opinion not advisable. Newer aluminium sheet is protected by a very thin chemical finish called Zirconium-Titanium to stop corrosion and improve adhesion properties of the metal.
    Latest technologies in paint stripping are water based (high pressure) where you can control how much material you want to remove.
    Chemical paint stripping needs to be done with great care. The most important thing is to remove all traces of acid or neutralise the chemicals to avoid future corrosion and possible damage to the new paint job.
    Max.

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Is cost the driving factor?

I recall a past restoration where you mentioned a cost for media blasted that I thought must have been a typo as it is multiples of what it costs here.

13. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Media blast with primer has averaged between $5,000 to $7,000.

14. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    is the only way I go. will not harm wiring! but clean it will

15. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Jon, we put 40 hours of media blasting into a steel body/chassis to clean off everything and the work was done by very experienced folks who didn't create any new problems (thankfully). The aluminium doors and other panels were done by hand, I think it was a little less than $5k including priming so your costs seems about the same, maybe a little higher.
    I have no experience with dipping but it seems like alot of cleanup time is required to clean the chassis tubes out.
    Andrew

16. jusdriveit

jusdriveit Karting

Sep 11, 2005
    Once you get the metal clean, it should be washed with an acid etch and primed with a good quality chromated epoxy like Glasurit 801-703G.

On assemblies with an aluminum skin over a steel frame, Duralac (:: Llewellyn Ryland :: Bringing Colour To Life :: )should be used to prevent future electrolytic corrosion. It can be found at:Metropolitan Aircraft Parts Inc. (631) 752-2290

It doesn't take much extra effort to make sure that corrosion never becomes a problem again.

Aloha,
    Mark