Campagnolo 6 1/2 Wheels? Is this correct? And, other wheel questions. | FerrariChat

Campagnolo 6 1/2 Wheels? Is this correct? And, other wheel questions.

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinogts, Nov 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#1 dinogts, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    While looking at the Dino 246 gt Coupe & Spyder Spare Parts Catalogue (updated November 1975) for information about the correct wheels for my April 1972 246gt, I was surprised to see 5 different entries for the wheels at Table (Tavola 35), all for Figure 1 (the wheel itself). In particular, I found the following entries for the Campagnolo wheels as follows:

Part No. Reference No. - Quantity - Description

106927 CAMPAGNOLO 2 Ruota superleggera in ELEKTRON
    40736 (6 1/2 by 14")

106928 CAMPAGNOLO 2 Ruota superleggera in ELEKTRON
    40552 (7 1/2 by 14")

This is very odd in that it lists the front wheels (presumably) as being 6 1/2 by 14", while the rear wheels are 7 1/2 by 14" (presumably). I am surprised at the staggered widths since this has not been discussed anywhere that I am aware of. NOTE that a fifth wheel size for the spare is not listed.

Synchro and I spent several hours Wednesday (11/20/2014) evening looking at his US C&F gts and his Euro gts (non-C&F) while ruminating about this.

Neither of us have ever seen a Dino with 6 1/2 by 14" Campagnolos, and we have never seen ANY discussion about different sized Campagnolos from the factory for Dinos ANYWHERE. Synchro and I also know from experience that 7 1/2 by 14" Campagnolos do not fit in the spare tire well using the standard wheel hold down, and as above, there is no tire/wheel size specified for the spare.

The Dino Compendium doesn't discuss these matters either, at least not that I could find.

In addition, there are 3 OTHER separate wheels listed for the standard non-Campagnolo 6 1/2 by 14" wheels, for which I don't understand the descriptions.

First is F4262935, which is listed as a 6 1/2 by 14" wheel valid through Dino # 04828, with a quantity listed as 5.

Second is 607E-700730, which is also listed as a 6 1/2 by 14" wheel valid from Dino # 04830 to the end, with a quantity listed as 5.

Third, is 104920/607E-700754, also listed as a 6 1/2 by 14" wheel, with a quantity listed as 5.

It is hard to figure out what this means. The Dino Compendium mentions that Cromodora wheels marked only with FIAT (and NOT DINO) were in production until mid-1972, when they were changed to Dino signature wheels (with NO FIAT marking). This is odd because the entries in the Spare Parts Catalogue does not indicate what changes, if any occurred. Further, whatever change that did occur does not appear related to the change that apparently occurred between Dino # 04828 and 04830, which would have been produced well after mid-year 1972, as Dinos produced in April 1972 were only in about the 3600 to 3800 serial numbers.

So,

1. Has anyone seen a 6 1/2 by 14" Campagnolo wheel???? Such a wheel would apparently not have required flared front wheel arches.

2. Is there more specific information (date of production or serial number) available as to when the FIAT wheel script changed to the Dino signature style, other than the assertion that it happened "mid-year 1972"?

3. What was the difference in the wheels mounted up to 04828 and the wheels from 04830 onward?

Mark

2. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Mark, I can only address your #2. question. I recently sold 03964, which was manufactured in June, 1972. When I bought it in 1982, it had been equipped with four 7 1/2" Campagnolo wheels (non-original), but still had the original 6 1/2" Cromodora spare wheel and Michelin XWX tire. The spare wheel read "FIAT." I still own 04808, which has a build tag reading "October 1972," but which Matthias told me in an e-mail had a late January, 1973 build date. The Cromodora wheels on 04808 lack the "FIAT" markings, but instead are marked "DINO." As for the exact date of the changeover, I am as uncertain as you are. Fred

3. dinogtss

dinogtss Karting

Jul 14, 2013
    in my spare parts manual for my alfa romeo gta there are at least 2 styles of compagnolo wheels that really never existed possibly the same thing

4. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#4 dinogts, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just noticed that the September 27, 2014 issue of the Ferrari Market Letter at page 12 had an ad from Autosport Designs, Inc., for a "246 GTS, S/N 06440 (1973 USA model) Fly yellow . . ." with 6.5" Campagnolo wheels.

Here's the direct link to the Autosport Designs ad for Dino:

Autosport Designs

From looking at the photos, the wheels do appear to be 6.5" Campagnolo wheels - the photos I have clipped below show that the wheel arches are NOT FLARED, and it appears that the wheels do not extend out as far as 7.5" Campagnolo wheels do. So, assuming the wheels were correctly measured, it appears that 6.5" Campagnolo wheels do exist.

Finally, Autosport's ad lists the price as $475,000, and when I checked this morning, it has been sold.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #5 isuk, Nov 22, 2014
    Those look like the regular width Campagnolo wheels fitted to a normal (non flares) car. I used to have a set on 00342 and they do not protrude out from the wheel arch around the top at either end of the car. The issue is that they do stand proud as the body curves gently inward below the waist swage line, especially at the rear.

6. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    the best combination for the dino - 71/2 campys on a NON FLARED car. i don't get the premium for the flairs - big gap from top of tire to fender opening. makes wheels and tires look small and whimpy. the 6 1/2 "campy " is a misprint or a reference to the chromodora wheel.

7. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sorry, but the official Spare Parts Catalogue lists both 6.5" and 7.5" Campagnolo wheels, along with three separate listings for the standard 6.5" Cromodora wheels. I don't think it is a misprint - I think the 6.5 Campagnolo wheels are just awfully rare.

8. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    as far as I know 6,5" Camps weren`t avaiable.....
    would not be the only mistake in the spare parts catalogues...
    looks like a print error to me...

for the 7,5" Camps two different ones were avaiable... with Dino script and without

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes, not the only mistake in the parts book (engine mounts upside down, alternator fusebox missing, etc.)

Just like reading the Dino instrument gauges, ... sometimes requires broadening your accuracy expectations!

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Looks like post #4 and #5 show different wheel types

#4 not having the recess that #5 has.

I have no idea about how original either wheel is, but there is about an inch difference..... Talk about getting KoOkY....

Personally, I never got too much into the wheels on a Flare car because I think the flares look unusual, given the body design. I do think the Campy's have a better look.

Seeing a "Regular" Dino with Campy's looks cool to me. I don't know why the 1" "Flare" extension was even done..... For goodness sake, the same tires were used.

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I agree, I think the wider flair looks foreign to the rest of the Dino's shapes and the wheels looks too inset. The standard flair has a better stance with the wider Campys.

Freeman

12. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +1. My former Dino, 03964, had retrofitted Campagnolo 7.5" wheels, and the look of the wider wheels with the standard wheel arch flares is optimal, in my opinion. My remaining Dino, 04808, is fitted with 7.5" early series 308 wheels, and the offset and look are much the same. The wheel arches are less protruding, and the overall appearance is more muscular. I, too, don't understand the appeal of the flares. Perhaps their rarity, at least on coupes, is a selling point in the current overheated Dino market, but they look to me a it like welded-on barrel hoops. In any event, they are reminiscent of an afterthought added to a car about to go out of production. The added width of the flares seems to negate the greater width and offset of the Campagnolo rims. Fred

13. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    #13 500tr, Nov 24, 2014
  14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    With all due respect, that kind of sums up why I think they look odd.

If I had no knowledge base about them, I would lean more to think it was an after market modification vs. something that came from the factory.

15. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    What an abortion

16. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Very interesting, Mark. Good of you to do all this sleuthing. My car #4866 is just past the threshold you mentioned. Algar fitted 7.5" Campys when sold in '74.

17. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    #17 vrooom, Nov 24, 2014
  18. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I have to say I like the flares very much especially on a GT.....
    but it`s not everybody`s cup of tea....

19. go.911

go.911 Rookie

Dec 30, 2008
    Nuernberg - Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus Schenkl
    Just in case somebody is looking for Campagnolo .... I have some original magnesium ones left...

20. Dinorologi

Dinorologi Rookie

Jun 12, 2006
    Price and condition? 4 or 5 available?