Tie rod (track rod) end won't fit | FerrariChat

Tie rod (track rod) end won't fit

Discussion in '206/246' started by simonc, Dec 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    #1 simonc, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am having problems with my track rod ends (outer tie rod ends) because the ones I have bought seem too small. I have now bought two sets of TREs (one set form MaseratiSource and one set from Superformance and in both cases the conical part does not fit snugly into the steering arm, it is too loose. I have the same problem on both sides of the car and both of my steering arms are undamaged. I created the diagram below to help explain the problem. Has anyone else experienced this situation? Does anyone have any suggestions on I can overcome the issue?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    E-series Simon?

3. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have the same ones as "supplied" and my L-series has the same size originally fitted, part#104499.
    The steering levers are the same from 206 through early E-series so unless there was a change and you have a later car.
    I just measured a brand new steering lever, part#760120, the holes are 11.25 and 12.8mm.
    I hope they were not modified...

4. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Yes, it is an E-series. This is very strange. I checked with Maranello Classic Spares here in the UK and they are saying exactly the same as you. It could have had the steering arms modified sometime in the past but they both appear to be original fittings, or maybe someone has fitted incorrect TREs in the past that were too small and these moved around and enlarged the steering arm holes a little.

I guess the question is how to correct this issue.....

I have somebody looking at making some custom TREs for me. Somebody else suggested making a thin sleeve out of aluminium foil and using this to fill the gap between the steering arm and the TRE (they reckoned that once tightened there should be no movement between the parts and so no wear on the foil sleeve with the ball-joint itself providing the wear point).

Any alternative suggestions welcome.

5. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Did you check the measurements I quoted for the steering lever?
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, these are the size of the tapered hole on either side of the lever.
    (was late in the workshop last night for a flood watch, huge rain here and got within 15' of the workshop door when the dept. public works pumps stopped working, almost time to find a new space!)
    The steering levers were available but they are tricky to replace, a min 20t press and heat usually needed, and obviously a disassembled stub axle... I'd probably go for replacement levers if not to spec. because the holes were likely filed or reamed after they were damaged.
    I've seen folks break these joints by the double hammer percussion method which can leave you with an oval taper...

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I'm not necesserily recommending this solution, but rather than aluminium, perhaps some harder/stronger metal like stainless steel (shim stock) would be better suited for something like this ?

Also, in case the of suggested possibilty of "accidentally" enlargened steering arm holes and introduction of larger TRE studs is considered, I would highly recommend getting the holes machined/reamed to make sure they're not only round, but also their taper angle perfectly matches that of TRE studs.

7. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    What is the s/n of your Dino?

8. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    #8 simonc, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    #05898 - it's a 73 246GT euro

9. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Andrew - Hope you managed to miss the flooding OK. Sounds like a scary time. Your measurements for the arm would fit with the new TREs I have but are different from the measurements on my arms.

Timo - I am reluctant to use the idea of a shim as it just feels wrong to me but your suggestion of stainless shim stock is very valid if I do need to go this route. Thanks.

I had a conversation with Maranello Classic Spares and they measured the TREs they have in stock for the 246 and they are just the same as the new ones I have. They also have one steering arm available and checked that their TREs fit this arm correctly (and even sent me photos to show they do). Next they measured the TREs they have for BB/TR/328 (these all use the same TREs) and these seem to match the measurements that I need. They are sending me a couple of these TREs overnight so I can check their fitment. I am hoping that they will be what I need and that somehow my car was fitted with 365BB steering arms.

I am pretty certain that the arms are original. They certainly do not look to have been removed from the hub at any time. I have refurbished all the suspension and recall particularly noting this when I was media cleaning the hub, in fact I decided not to split these from the hub at that time simply because they looked original and undamaged. I have the equipment (press, heat etc) to change them if necessary but I am hoping it doesn't come to that. Finding two new steering arms is unlikely to be easy and quite expensive, plus I don't really want to have to strip the hubs down again.

10. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Simon
    What were the old ones like?

Did somebody ream them out some time ago to fit new TRE#s because they didn't fit.

I checked the SF ones and they are OK for my car.

tony

PS did SF sort out the starter?

11. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Makes sense that someone fitted TRE from the next models along, go with that if it fits properly since it worked up until now. Maybe the PO or shop were shipped the wrong ones and made them fit.
    The levers are such a pain to separate from the stub axle, it's likely the original steering levers were reamed out. Make sure you tell the next owner :)

12. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    The BB/TR/328 TREs arrived today and fitted fine, I'm really pleased and a owe a big thank you to Scott at Maranello Classic Spares for taking the time to go through his stock and take measurements. I've made a big note in the history file concerning this so that I don't forget and future owners are made aware.

TonyL - SF say I should have the modified starter on Saturday. To explain to other members, I bought a hi-torque starter from Superformance and it would not comfortably fit under my exhaust headers - it was just touching the headers and there was no room for the heat shield. To fit correctly it needed to be rotated on its axis so I marked the correct position and returned it to SF who then had the manufacturer modify the mounting plate. I haven't seen the modified unit yet but I am hoping it will fit correctly now. They say they have supplied many of these units and they usually fit OK. However my car is a standard euro-spec E-series car. I think TonyL had a similar issue with a hi-torque starter that was supplied by a different manufacturer so it is not a unique problem. Photos available if anyone is interested.

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sorry for the side topic, but you struck a nerve on the gear reduction starter, not all are the same.
    I have had 5 great years on mine from Martins installed in my Euro GTS.

When Cannonball Jack came to town I spent hours diagnosing when hisnew gear reduction starter failed and wanted to add this:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142283728-post44.html