oil shroud | FerrariChat

oil shroud

Discussion in '206/246' started by obelix, Dec 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. obelix

obelix Rookie

Apr 24, 2004
    British Columbia,Can
    #1 obelix, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    I saw somewhere that someone developed a stainless steel shroud to stop oil from dripping on to the rear suspension from the oil filter
    having just rebushed the suspension want to prevent deterioration.This would be for the Dino 246.

2. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  3. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The Dino blog one was to stop oil dropping on the alternator

4. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
  5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Several interesting things there. Thanks!

Andres

6. obelix

obelix Rookie

Apr 24, 2004
    British Columbia,Can
    Some where I saw that someone developed stainless steel oil shroud/deflector for the rear upper pivot of the Dino 246.To prevent oil dropping on to the bushes from the oil filter assembly.Any Takers?

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That is probably the intended item but since the post was specific to the oil filter side, the OP should know that is this item is for the other side where the problem is common.
    While I've not heard of any Dino oil problem on the filter side requiring a shroud, the item you'll buy above solves the issue on the other side, the timing chain tensioner and any weeping from cam box seals above it. While not immediately obvious as nefarious, oil drips can eventually drip down onto your alternator and do bad things - I know of at least 15 Dino owners where this has happened interrupting all travel for a rebuild. Then again, Ferrari placed it low in the engine bay and is difficult to inspect.

8. obelix

obelix Rookie

Apr 24, 2004
    British Columbia,Can
    Never did get a reply back with a source for a shroud to stop oil from dripping from the oil cooler on to the suspension bushings.

9. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    The problem is that it's uncommon to have the oil cooler leak. I don't believe that a shroud has been developed for that ailment.