Luggage compartment light | FerrariChat

Luggage compartment light

Discussion in '206/246' started by snowsports1, Dec 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi can anyone help with the location or pic of this on the 246 Rhd gt please, all coming together now many thanks to ferrarichat members and happy new year to all. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #2 isuk, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks Iain, I assume this is fixed with pop rivets which are visible in the gutter?

4. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Yes it is. Do you need a photo?

5. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi Iain should be ok thanks, I do however need a pic of the intake / oil cooler hose clamp that fixes onto the fuel tank if you have please?

6. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #6 isuk, Dec 31, 2014
  7. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #7 isuk, Dec 31, 2014
  8. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Perfect Iain, is the bracket like a hook? In the pic you can't see two parts of the strap to form a loop, difficult to explain

9. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #9 isuk, Dec 31, 2014
    It fits around about 3/4 of the width of the width of the hose from memory Brian and has a tapered end. I thought I had a photo of it off the car but can't find it. Here is a very crude drawing of it to give you the idea.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Ok got it, will be nice to put our cars together for a photo this season

11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    You appear to be missing the coil terminal boots in the picture.

12. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Can you provide details on the band...material, width, etc? I presume it is painted matt or satin black, correct?

13. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    There weren't any boots on the coil terminals on any of my 4 E series cars Ron. I've had a quick look in the factory technical instruction manual and in the photo on page 45 there are no boots on the terminals on top of the coil nor is there one on the picture in the owners manual.

14. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #14 isuk, Jan 1, 2015
    It's been a long time since I saw this bracket out of the car so I had another quick look. It does not go 3/4 of the way around the hose as I thought originally but actually only fits around half of it just to hold it in place. I've done a quick plan drawing that isn't to scale just to give you an idea of shape. The top portion has a slight taper probably in line with base of the upright section that bolts to the tank. It's very difficult to gain access to it with all the hoses in place and the wheel in situ plus the service shell liners in the arch. I'd guestimate it to be around 20mm in width and around 2mm thick, possibly slightly thinner. It is finished in satin black but I don't know if the original finish would have been black anodised. Perhaps someone else could give you a more definitive answer.

15. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    #15 daviekj, Jan 1, 2015
  16. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #16 HMB-Dino, Jan 1, 2015
    Lovely...yet another subtle difference between E-Series and earlier Dino's. Compendium clearly shows terminal boots for 206 and L-Series, but does not have pics of assembly for M-Series. However, the owners manual for an M-Series clearly shows the boots (pg 65).

17. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    There is a simple rule of thumb with Ferrari Ron....... take as much superfluous cost of each car over it's production life ;) That even extended to ditching something as simple as the felt on the underside of the trunk lid on the last 20 months or so production of E series cars.

That same diagram also appears in the E series handbook but if you look at the photo on page 28 of the M series handbook you'll just make out there are no boots on the actual car. Once again the parts diagram and actual reality don't match up.

18. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    coil terminal boots, what are they?

19. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The protective rubber caps covering the wires where they connect to the top of the coil.

20. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Same boot that covers the terminal end of the condensor on the distributor.

21. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Yeah, I saw that `photo' on pg 28, but even with a magnifying glass, my eyes were not convinced either way.

22. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #22 GermanDino, Jan 2, 2015
    I would say this drawing is spot on...
    see my attached picture taken at the production line in March 1973 (the Dino likely to be #06514, you find the picture also on page 68 Dino Compendium)
    Why are only a few Connections covered with boots and not all (two aren`t)?
    Maybe Adrian knows.....

23. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    In short, boots were used on all screw terminal connections except for the rigid wire on the left side of the Emergenzia coil.

L Series Dinos with a Dinoplex AEC101 had boots on all four ignition wires and on the distributor terminal. The Ferrari part number was 28919. The Marelli installation instructions required adding red Silastic silicone elastomer to the 'K' coil terminal for full insulation. Early terminal boots used in ''67/early '68 were red, but i am not sure if they were also installed in the 206 GT.

With the introduction of the AEC103A ignition, terminal boots were again used on all wires (both terminals of the "Normale" coil, right terminal coil and right terminal resistor of the "Emergenza" coil) except on the "Emergenza" coil left terminal red wire going to the resistor left terminal. See also Matthias photo in post #22 showing the red left wire without the boots.

The image in posting #16 is correct for double coil setups with an AEC103A (e.g. around '70 to 72).

Single coil setups from '73 onwards also had terminal boots on all four terminals (three coil terminals, right resistor terminal), the rigid red wire on the left side of the resistor had no boot, but the black wire connecting to the same left coil terminal had one.

Some illustrations including the advertising and factory photos by Marelli only show the wiring itself but none of the boots.

Regarding Matthias question, the red rigid wire on the left side was preinstalled without boots at Marelli while producing the coil unit. The red wire is part of the +12V supply so even if you touch it there is no risk you'll get an electric shock.

Regarding isuk's photo, the boot on the left red wire/left terminal of the ballast resistor does not belong there (there was never a boot on the red terminal/resistor wire). That boot should be on the middle B+ terminal instead. It looks like the K wire from the DInoplex on the left side is missing?

I haven't been able to source these boots as NOS or replica, everything i did find was looking different to the original ones. Would be great if someone creates a good reproduction of these as all the original ones are quite brittle by now.

24. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    thanks for clarification....

25. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    This is what is sooooo great about this forum. I (thought) I noticed something amiss in a posted photo and decided to question it, realizing that the observation would either be validated or shot down in flames (just a figure of speech). It generated a discussion which resulted in a clear, detailed clarification resulted which only serves to help educate all of us.