Something is wrong | FerrariChat

Something is wrong

Discussion in '206/246' started by TonyL, Jan 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I don't know if anyone else is experiencing the same situation as me but I seem to be getting a lot of messages from people asking for general advice about their cars. After 15 years of dino ownership I have become adept at fixing / restoring my own car. It has taken a long time to acquire those skills and with the assistance of some on this part of the forum. If I can help I do, if not I pass them onto someone who I think can help out.

Recently I asked one person why he doesn't post on the site as he could get a more widespread view and was told he was frightened to. I was surprised by that but reading back through some old posts I tend to agree.

If I was joining now I would be wary about posting on the site as well.

Whilst some offer an opinion (whether asked for or not) the tone of the comment in some instances can be rather belittling and in some cases, downright rude. I don't for one minute think it is done on purpose and I guess we can all be guilty of that at some stage, sometimes when human contact is denied the interpretation or gesture can be lost or mistaken. We also have a wide range of people all over the world where English is not their mother tongue so that throws up its own problems as well.

We all have to learn at some stage and the no 1 reason for being on this forum (for me at least) is to learn from others, if we are sending out the wrong message then this part of the forum will cease to have any real benefit for newcomers.

When I joined Fchat the 206/246 area always seemed to be the most helpful part of the forum, it appears attitudes are slowly changing.

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Tony I am inclined to agree with your viewpoint. Sadly as the cars raise in value the real hands on enthusiasts get pushed away and with it goes their enthusiasm and sense of community.

Another issue lies in that some people have a hard time accepting the various approaches some people choose to apply to this hobby and take a rigid position that their way of looking at the world is best. As you know I recently finished a nutty concourse restoration. Not for a moment do I think I am better than the guy who goes a little out of his comfort zone to fix something themselves or the owner who maybe did something a little different to personalize their car. In the end it is their car and they can do with it as they wish so long as they are having fun and are respectful of the other opinions out there.

The only place where I do have pause is for when things are misrepresented. I have no problems challenging claims (that are often made by someone selling) on the quality or rarity of a particular item or vehicle. Too often I see items over-hyped and in the end it is someone with limited knowledge who gets fooled. I'm happy to share my knowledge to avoid this and hope to share in the wisdom of others in fields where I am less learned.

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Well said Rob, I wouldn't say a nutty restoration, benchmark would be much much closer.

4. dino clay

dino clay Karting

Oct 31, 2007
    san mateo, cal
    Full Name:
    clay cavanaugh
    I've been rebuilding engines since 1964, and I am still learning. The only dumb question is the one you fail to ask
    clay

5. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris

Well said, Tony.

6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I sadly think we have become complacent in our duties as stewards for these great cars. I include myself in this and it seems we don't post with the enthusiasm we used to....

I think the best way to help solve this is for us "Older" F-Chat guys to help and support the "Newer" guys. The only way we can do this is the NEW guys start posting.

It will give us all something new to talk about and debate and kick around. I agree with keeping the tone positive for all of our benefits

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    might I suggest something like a Newbie thread we can even stick with strict rules for replies to only be helpful and positive?

8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Threads like the 930 Turbo Carrera Thread and Miura the Ultimate Supercar Threads are very informative. I think Joe does it best. I'd love to see similar threads for the Dino, 308, BBs, etc.

9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I agree. those would be really great threads to have but keep in mind, joe has spent considerable time on the threads he has started. it would be nice if joe had the band width to start some more:)

10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Of course. Perhaps the collective efforts of those who are experts of each variant can contribute to that particular thread.

11. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Rob has it right, as values go up, different folks buy these cars and more work goes out to a shop.
    One of the benefits of increasing values are the cars are better maintained and professionally restored, so how many folks are still truly DIY?
    Why would someone post a 'problem' with their car that might impact the future value of their investment aside from the unhelpful posts already mentioned... Just food for thought.

A newbie thread is a great idea but don't call it that.

Also, the interest has shifted more to values and market predictions. Easy stuff that everyone has an opinion on, like the weather.
    The vintage section moved all this to a subforum which allows more focus on actual cars and issues, does this section have enough posts so a Dino market subforum makes sense?
    Andrew

12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Mostly agree with what you are saying but anyone who says they havenet had a problem with their dino shouldn't be trusted. It just doesn't happen.

I also think you don't need to work on your car/s to have a good technical knowledge but it does help when describing a dismantling / assembly process.

I don't feel a "newbie" sub section is needed, just give people confidence that help is here. I benefited from that advice in my early years of dino ownership. There is a lot of talented people on here and we have the added advantage of MB with the dino compendium... how lucky are we!!
    Tony

13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    #14 LARRYH, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    I can only give you my point of view however about 3 years ago I announced in this section that I wanted to buy a DINO GT and the very generous help I received from several members of this site was instrumental in me finding and buying a car. . several members told me about cars they knew of and one very well known member put me in touch with the perfect car for me(with no financial gain for him) and then assisted in contacting other members to help verify the car and to do a PPI .. Then another prominent member handled the PPI and the transaction for me the car I bought sight unseen was everything I was told and the help has always been very much appreciated .. I still have the car and will keep it for the foreseeable future...
    Now I did get one or two negative posts but that really did not matter it is the internet an op just has to ignore those...
    Without this section of Ferrarichat I am sure I would have missed my chance to get a DINO as I luckily bought the car just before they doubled in value....again listening to advice from a fchat member....
    so just help people when you can and others will appreciate it...

14. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    I must say, Tony’s original concerns are valid. I found this chat room after I bought my GTS. After reading threads for a month or two, I commented to some car friends that I didn’t think I would ever post a picture of my car. Time after time when I saw people do that, the car was picked apart – not in a helpful way… I even found myself doing it after a while. Maybe it's a way of showing how much we know, but it comes off rather belittling.

I work on my own car and my goal isn’t going to a concours or having a trailer queen. I’m proud of how the car looks, but it will always be a driver, including the 16 inch wheels and modern rubber – my apologies to the purists here.

The people who contribute here are first rate. I’ve learned so much and been able to address many more issues because of many of you. The pictorials of the work being done are wonderful. I’ve learned so much and even scored some parts – original and reproduction...

I’m not sure there needs to be a new set of “strict rules”, but perhaps this conversation will restore some civility.

15. Nickrry

Nickrry Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    I agree with Tony; this is not a friendly site - a heady mix of men, money, egos and cars!

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    and not women?

17. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    When I bought my Dino in 2001, it was still commonly called the "Girls Ferrari"...

Where have they all gone? This section would be AWESOME with lots of female commentary!

Shawn

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't know, is Nickrry a woman? :confused:

19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Who is Nickrry?

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    posted below

21. Nickrry

Nickrry Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    English male.
    so this begs the question; are there any female members? I suspect they are all to busy doing something more useful!
    Nick

22. dino_246_gt

dino_246_gt Rookie

Dec 14, 2007
    NL
    Full Name:
    Petra
    Here's one... and indeed, I love my 246 for being nimble in spirit, forgiving by nature, and gorgeous in looks; I would say it's the ideal girl's four-wheeled-companion, for those girls that like driving and playing with sportscars anyway!

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    A few enthusiasts that require a thick skin for reasons you mention and a few gold diggers that last the longest, until they hit pay dirt.

24. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    As a relatively new user the site has been invaluable and I wouldn't have been able to restore my Dino without the help of a few core members, especially Tonyl and isuk who I hope to meet at some point! I do understand the frustration from both sides when a subject matter gets covered over and over again but that is inevitable with this type of forum.