Radiator re-core | FerrariChat

Radiator re-core

Discussion in '206/246' started by jvj, Feb 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jvj

jvj Rookie

Sep 18, 2009
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Vince
    #01616's radiator is having a re-core.
    The shop has recommended 1 or 2 vertical strips on each side on the core, joined to the top and bottom C channels, to prevent bellowing, as it's a fairly wide crossflow.

Anyone know if original M series had this?
    Thread search didn't come up with anything.

If yes, any info on how many & placement is much appreciated.
    Cheers, Vince

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I do not exactly understand the question but the images in the link below should let you see exactly what the radiator on your M Series should look like:

Dino 246 Restoration Blog: Crazy Task #5: Block sanding the radiator

I will add that make sure that you go to a VERY good and experienced radiator shop. The final fit is incredibly tight so if the radiator shop does not get its measurements PERFECT you will never get it in. Also the original core is of a very high and fine fin count normally used in the truck industry. A lot of shops will tell you the cores are no longer available but if they look in the right place they can be found.

BTW here are some more installed shots:

http://dino246blog.blogspot.com/2014/05/an-incredibly-tight-fit-greasing.html

3. jvj

jvj Rookie

Sep 18, 2009
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Vince
    #3 jvj, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Many thanks Rob.
    Obviously no straps originally.

The shop suggested a strap each side - see white line I've added to your pic - to prevent any bellowing and so keep top & bottom edges parallel. The guys are experienced; they do brass rads for concours veterans as well as later cars. We'll keep dimensions exact using everything off the old rad but with a new core.

Would you have a fin count as a guide?
    Hope the white stuff has melted. Enjoy 01464.
    Cheers, Vince
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Vince.

I've looked at a couple dozen or more Dinos over the years, up close and personal. I've never seen any modifications to the radiator, except for a guy who had replaced it with a "performance" radiator (can't recall the manufacturer.)

I can't imagine why you'd need the strap, and don't know if you're planning on taking your car to concours events, or how adept a judge would be at spotting the "fix" to a problem I don't believe exists., and then maybe ding you a point for it.

If you can live without it, I would, just for originality sake.

D

5. jvj

jvj Rookie

Sep 18, 2009
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Thanks Dave, agree entirely. Core will be made strapless with max fin count to same overall size as in Rob's advice.

6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    On a related topic, are all Dino radiators held by a single strap or with two straps or does it vary depending on series? I'm referring to the tether made of leather(?) that attaches to the top of the radiator and connects to the fiberglass spare tire tub.

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Early cars up until E series use 2 straps on either side while later cars had a single strap in the middle.

8. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Interesting, because that would mean the differences are not just the radiator itself but also the curved spare tire tub front wall (for a mount point on each side for the 2-strap vs none for single strap) plus the frame upper support (with welded bracket for single radiator strap attached pt).