Co2 emissions | FerrariChat

Co2 emissions

Discussion in '206/246' started by yakxx21, Feb 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    Has anybody ever had a Co2 emission check done on the Dino.

Where I live we have to have this and of course we are taxed heavily the higher it goes...so to pre empt the shock.....I would like to know what to expect.

Thanks

2. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Where do you live? I thought you were in the UK, if so I can tell you the UK rules.

3. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    I live in Southern Europe

You guys living in UK have no idea how lucky you are.

If I buy an average car here I have to pay over £15000 pounds tax over and above prices you have there and it all depends on engine size and Co2 emissions ... A Dino might cost me over 40 grand to register ... This my question

But it seems nobody knows what C02 levels are on a Dino as I have asked before but no answers

Guess I will just have to go and have it ' sniffed '

Cheers

4. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn

Are you required to have the measurements made only at idle or on a rolling dyno under different loads?

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    From the repair manual the CO2 levels should be 1.1% +/- .2%.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's the CO spec -- not the CO2 spec (usually grams/mile). If CO2 (not CO), it has to be in the same ballpark as any other 2.5~3.0L normally aspirated ICE vehicle (that doesn't have some sort of final overdrive gimmickry) IMO.

7. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    All I know is they stick something up the exhaust and ask you to rev up a few times......

any idea what <i might expect.....some say 270 and others 400....???

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    What units - grams/mile or grams/kilometer?

9. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    Grams kilometre.

Thanks

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You should be able to find mpg vs grams/kilometre graphs on the internet -- 15 mpg hits around ~400 grams/kilometre, but 20 mpg is more like ~250 grams/kilometre. I can't recall when mpg ratings were required on US vehicles, but the (early) mpg test itself was pretty wimpy driving (which is why lead-footed drivers complained that they never got the rated mpg). Was/is there an official F or EPA mpg rating for a Dino? Have to think that a well-running ~2.5L would get at least 20 mpg driven gently.

11. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    The fuel economy of the Dino was one of its weak points. It consumed considerably more fuel than its competitors at the time. Road & Track measured 12.7 mpg during their test of the US version. Early Dinos and Euro Dinos may have been slightly better, but not by any significant amount. In fact, the Italian certification documents for a 1969 246 GT lists a fuel consumption of 18 to 20 liters/100 km (11.8 to 13 mpg).

yakxx21, are you sure those taxes and fees based on CO2 really apply to 40 year old vintage cars? Sweden is also in the EU, and the CO2-engine size-vehicle weight tax is applied only to new cars. For used cars, there is no such tax. Instead, there is a fairly modest annual vehicle tax based on the CO2 emissions and weight. Best of all, vintage cars or motorcycles 30 years old or older, are exempt. For Dinos and similar vintage cars, there is no tax or any other fees. You pay only insurance and nothing else.

12. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    If you do need it tested, then get a tune up done for fuel efficiency. After the test it can be returned to normal. could save some money...

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, but fuel was $US 0.299/US gal so there wasn't as much pressure to lie ;)

I have no trouble believing that mpg for real world driving/use, but does anyone know when EPA mpg testing started and if it was done during Dino production?

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #14 Rifledriver, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    It was quite a bit later, early/mid eighties I think.

CAFE started in 78 but I don't think assigning a specific number to a specific car started for a few years after that.

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, I think you are right -- The Energy Tax Act was passed in 1978, but the earliest "gas guzzler penalty" mentioned that I can find applies to 1980 US MY vehicles.

16. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    Sadly I live in Southern Europe ...very different to the north....yes ,every car is subject to this tax...it has gone to the European courts a number of times...but here the government ignores what they want to ignore....every car whatever age has to pay a huge import tax....even if I put her on UK reg....after six months....we have to pay the tax and if you dont...they can and often do take your car and crush it....its not like northern Europe where I have lived...our cars are stopped and searched all the time ...even after going to the supoermarket and no receipt...big fines...you have to carry receits forv everything....
    mind you last week I was stopped because I didnt have a baby seat fitted for my 3 year old ....he just demande €500....I offerred 50 and he went on his merry way....such is everyday day life in Portugal /Spain /Greece etc