Tools to carry in the Dino. | FerrariChat

Tools to carry in the Dino.

Discussion in '206/246' started by abstamaria, Mar 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    My Dino came with its original tools, which I have been leaving at home. I would hate to lose them, and they are, to be honest, I think not very good. That is especially true of the jack, which I would hesitate to use.

Consequently, I have been carrying a set of modern wrenches (Beta, so I remain Italian), pliers, screwdrivers, a scissors jack, and a 19mm socket and handle for the wheel bolts. My wife found a dark blue and brown leather bag a bank gave one Christmas, so I have all the tools there. Does everybody use a scissors jack?

The other month, I decided to look for a Ferrari case. The brown leather ones were quite appealing and not as expensive as our rudimentary tool rolls!

Andy

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #2 abstamaria, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been carrying my non-Ferrari tools in this case. It's quite nice actually. but doesn't look the part. I ordered a used kit from a Ferrari 348, which is much cheaper than our original sets.

Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Andy,

To be honest, I think the days of breaking down on the side of the road with a Dino, and using tools/jack, are long gone.

With the advent of cell phones, I would call a tow truck in a heartbeat.

Years ago, I could see trying to get back up and running, but not today.

I, surely, wouldn't use a "Dino Jack" to jack up the car on the side of the road and change a tire. I am not saying I have a problem changing a tire. What I am saying is that for less than $100 US, I could get someone to help me and make sure I don't damage paint/car with a potential faulty jack because the jack hasn't been used in 40 years....

Shawn

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I live in the Third World, Shawn, but, yes, I would call a two truck soonest.

I would feel uncomfortable without tools in the car, though, just in case, and need to put together a tool kit with a scissors jack. The sets for the modern Ferraris look pretty good and not as expensive as ours. I bought a tool kit over eBay.

Andy

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I think more important to have multiple back up fuses than anything else. Maybe a belt, but i don't recall if that's easily accessible.

Sure, a decent jack is a good thing (although I did use the Dino jack to change a tire once) and the right size socket for the lugs on a decent breaker bar/flex handle helps, I'd go with a 1/2" drive, but most stuff that fails isn't going to be a simple roadside fix.

So, pack what you need to do the fixes you know you can do, like fuses and the tires, and leave the rest to a trained mechanic.

Oh, maybe a big jug of water and a quart of oil in the trunk should you overheat or need the right oil when at a gas station checking the level.

6. JB833

JB833 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    London
    I used to carry a trolley jack, 10mm spanner and 13mm spanner and a proper socket wrench for the wheel nuts.

7. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #7 abstamaria, Mar 7, 2015
    This item came up on eBay. It is for a 348, but has the basic tools I would carry, plus some. I could not resist the leather case and bought it.

Andy

8. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    AAA Card.

9. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    No harm in this....

10. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Andy -

What happened to your photo(s) in post #7? There is just a place-holder - "Attached Images" - but nothing appears and no active links.

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#11 dm_n_stuff, Mar 8, 2015
    I can see it, but try this just in case.

12. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    All good advice. Many thanks. Note that the 348 kit has fuses, but of the modern kind. I'll pack a few correct fuses.

Sometimes when I'm not logged in, I get the placeholder instead of the photo, too. I hope you can see the photo now. The wrenches say "Ferrari," which is quite neat.

Andy

13. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    My favorite recommendation for a breakdown kit, for a Jag: "A comfortable pair of walking shoes and a good cigar."

14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    No, I can't leave my baby on the road, Ghenne!

Hoping that the belief "if you bring an umbrella, it won't rain" will hold true, I will bring tools. I found a jack set for a California, packed too in a gorgeous Schedoni leather case and bought this also. Both tool sets look gorgeous and visually belong more to the Dino than the tool kit. I will take pictures and post shortly.

Best,

Andy

15. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #15 abstamaria, Mar 11, 2015
    Here is the tool case for a 348, just arrived. I have never had a newish Ferrari, so am quite excited about these fine leather cases, probably old hat to most of you. Anyway, it is made for Ferrari by a company called “Schedoni” and is fabulous, I think, with its rich, orangey leather and the mandatory prancing horse. To be honest, the case was what attracted me. Absolutely incorrect for the Dino, of course.

Andy

16. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #16 abstamaria, Mar 11, 2015
  17. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #17 abstamaria, Mar 11, 2015
    I was carrying Beta wrenches in an effort to be consistently Italian, but the tools that came with the set are better suited, of course. I will have more "Ferrari" in the tool case than on the car.

Andy