Dino Alternator connections | FerrariChat

Dino Alternator connections

Discussion in '206/246' started by yakxx21, Mar 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    Just bought a new Alternator from Superformance (pity the key is a different size to the original) ...now I forgot how I took the old one off and note there are three connections :

I assume the big nut is the Battery....but then there are two push connectors ...

Which one is the field ??

What is the other one for .....should it be earthed. ?

Finally...are these self exciting ??

Thanks

2. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    One will be field, the other one the alternator warning light. No idea what Superformance sells, can you post a photo of the terminals? Any numbers/letters next to the terminal?

3. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    I think I have worked it out but confirmation would be nice

Out of the two push on connectors one goes to the slip ring brushes .... So I assume that's the field connection ???

Not sure where the other one goes

Thanks

No markings by the way

4. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    From memory, the extended blade terminal directly next to the large battery screw terminal is the alternator light connection. Next to it is a recessed (somewhat hidden) blade terminal which is the field connector. Field should have a '67' mark next to it.

This is how it was on my early E series, later ones and US Dinos might have had a newer type of alternator. If you post a picture of the back i should be able to give a more precise answer :)

5. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    Thanks. That's clear now. The hidden one goes to the brushes so that's the field.

There was no third wire so I assume the light is not connected on mine.

Anyway thanks for input

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott