Misfire? | FerrariChat

Misfire?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Salmon&permit, Mar 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Salmon&permit

Salmon&permit Karting

Apr 6, 2012
    London, UK
    I sparked my Dino up this weekend after its winter's rest. Gave it a good polish and checked all fluids ahead of some planned motoring over the coming weeks and months. Thoroughly enjoy putting some decent miles on it and have some good trips planned. However, on starting it up and driving it round the block, it sounded a bit tractor-like....not firing cleanly on all cylinders. It was put to bed after a 200 mile run in the autumn and the last half hour or so was stop-start London traffic....and I do remember it wasn't pulling away that cleanly at the very end of the run. Normally runs and pulls as smooth as a train.

I suspect it is a dodgy spark plug as this was a problem I had once before. My question is, given I am not Mr fixit myself - and please forgive dim question as I suspect many of you out there could sort the problem out yourselves - but does it need to go on a trailer to a decent mechanic to get it fixed and tuned up, or will the engine be OK if I drive it slowly over the 40 miles or so to the garage I usually use? I suspect the trailer option would be best and safest. If it is a spark plug issue.....might I be able to solve it myself? I can certainly take one out and replace with a new one.....but am thinking that there might be a bit more too it than that? I do wish there was an engine expert in central London who would do 'house calls' but while there are lots of dealers, I don't know of any decent mechanics.....does anyone on the forum?

2. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Could be a range of things (rotor/spark wire broken, one set of points out of alignment on a S125BX distributor, ignition or power supppy to ignition faulty). Would start by installing a fresh set of NGK BPR7EIX spark plugs and filling up the tank with fresh gasoline. If the problem persists, check and exchange the spark wires if needed, have a look at the inside of the distributor cap and rotor.
    There is a also a chance that one of the carbs is dirty/drips, you'll get a better idea about what's going on after installing a fresh set of spark plugs and then have a look at the plugs after a short drive.

Maybe one of our resident London forum members can give you a hand?

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The best method to check if all cylinders are firing is to get a long painters / artist brush (cheap one) and dip it in some oil / water or grease.

Start engine and then touch the brush on each individual cylinder exhaust very quickly. You should hear a sizzle as it burns. If its cold then its not firing. Take plug out, clean it and replace. Repeat test. If it does it again then you need to find cause.

If all the 6 exhausts are hot then look elsewhere ie as Adrian has suggested. Doubt changing fuel will fix it though.

Better than using your finger less painful!!

The rear bank is awkward but doable

Tony

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Maybe needs a good old fashioned Italian Tune Up?

Wind 'er out to redline in 3rd, and drive for ten minutes. Ok, 500 rpm's under redline will work too.

D

5. Salmon&permit

Salmon&permit Karting

Apr 6, 2012
    London, UK
    Thanks all - especially Tony....will do as instructed.....will leave redline option for later!!

6. Salmon&permit

Salmon&permit Karting

Apr 6, 2012
    London, UK
    Thanks all sorted - loose spark plug, running sweetly now, 45 minute blast and reminded myself all over again why it's such a wonderful car! Roll on some decent weather and more miles.