Batteries Yet Again | FerrariChat

Batteries Yet Again

Discussion in '206/246' started by abstamaria, Apr 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #1 abstamaria, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am tempting fate as I write this, but it was big surprise for me to realize that the battery on the Dino is now over five years old.

The Dino arrived at my home from the U.S. with a dead Optima battery. I changed this with an AC Delco (600 CCA) battery, which was still going well two years later, when I changed to a Pegasus Yellowtop (34/78). I was attracted by the longer expected life and the idea that the Optima would vent less and not corrode the Dino’s battery compartment. This cost US$209 and had to be imported, so it was an expensive battery.

The Optima died at one year and nine months (December 4, 2010). I was so sorely disappointed. I decided to buy a regular, locally made battery, shown here. Five years later, it is still on the car.

(My apologies for the look of the compartment, but my car is unrestored, and I hesitate to repaint.)

By the way, I had good experience with Optima before this. The Yellow Top battery on my MG TC is now 14 years old. Again, I tempt fate.

Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Do you keep it attached to a battery maintainer or manager?
    That is the key to long battery life.

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Nice battery hold down!

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Jim, l change the battery once a month, but don't keep it plugged into a charger all the time.

I think that's still the original hold-down, Shawn.

Andy