Leaking header tank | FerrariChat

Leaking header tank

Discussion in '206/246' started by need4speed, Apr 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Can the header tank be repaired? Or it has to be replaced?

Thanks for any advice,

Manny

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    If one of the brass tanks it can be re-soldered. If one of the steel tanks you may be able to plug the leak temporarily but I think over time it is a losing battle. The brass ones are available new.

3. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I had a microscopic leak at the base of the neck of my brass tank that was soldered. The first two times the guy was skimpy with the solder and the repair only lasted a year or so, but this time he was more generous and I think it should be fine. $120 I think at a radiator shop.

4. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    I had the same problem at the base of the neck of the tank. I would replace it. Remember the tank is under significant pressure. Why risk engine damage . A new tank is inexpensive, easy to install, and will last 20 years.

5. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Manny,

If it's not to bad we can repair it.

Craig

6. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If the tank develops a significant leak you will smell it and have time to pull over before anything could happen to the engine.

I haven't seen the replacement tanks, but I have encountered a lot of poorly-made replacement parts for other cars that should be avoided.

7. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The best replacements are the re-issued ones from FIM in brass. I think they look just like the originals with the stampings and everything. They were soldered together to begin with so I can't see why they couldn't be re-soldered if done properly.

8. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    I bought my replacement tank from Geoff Ohland. It is NOS identical.

9. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Manny - had mine repaired. Clean break at the seam. Take it to a radiator shop... dont tell them what car it is for...

Cheers

Pietro

10. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I had mine soldered last fall, no problem

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1 on doing it. I too had my header tank neck repaired and drain stem replaced.

Last I checked these tanks were pushing $500 for OEM delivered to US destinations so I respectfully disagree on them being inexpensive.

Header Tank 246 Original #104523 24610165 £316.00
    Cooling System Parts for Ferrari 206 & 246 - Superformance

Header tank Original FIM FPN 104523 Product ID: 14-6/Fim 489,00 EUR
    Ferrari 246 GT/GTS: Cooling Systems: Header Tank & More: Header tank Original FIM

12. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    My point is that this part typically lasts 40 years. $500.00 for 40 years worth of reliability is pretty good. Remember most of us are buying tires ( XWX ) for $350.00 per tire, and the life of that tire is not even close to 40 years. I have had leaking header tanks in a number of cars. It is a mess not only in the engine bay but also the garage floor ect...
    Remember when the cars are warmed up or you are in traffic and the car is getting hot the pressures can be quite high in the cooling system.
    In an era when car enthusiasts and owners are paying significant prices for tools that will never be used and put away until the one or two shows that they see the light of day, a new header tank is inexpensive.
    My 2 cents

13. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Early cars (206/L at least) were definitely in brass, I didn't know the later replacements were also brass (have a few so will take a look... Would be nice!).

14. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If the coolant is changed frequently there is no reason the tank should corrode at all.

If you bought a car with the tank corroded thru or something, that would be different.

15. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    it is very common for there to be corrosion at the base of the neck of the tank. Even cars that are well maintained can suffer fro this.

16. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Thanks to everyone for the responses. I've been driving my car daily and one day when I started the car in the morining, white vapors were rising from the engine compartment. I noticed a leak had been dripping onto my exhaust. I've been keeping an eye on the level of the header tank and it doesn't change. So it's a very slow leak.

Craig, when I get some time, I'll contact you.

Thanks again everyone