hot start (possibly vapor lock) issues | FerrariChat

hot start (possibly vapor lock) issues

Discussion in '206/246' started by FFmaybe, Apr 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FFmaybe

FFmaybe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2014
    hi I have a dino. it runs incredibly well (I drove over 200 miles this weekend), temps stay cool. but if I shut it down and try to restart in a few minutes it won't always fire up. I got stuck for 20 minutes today letting it cool down.

I have put the peddle to the floor in hopes that would assist (as I've been told to do), I've pumped the peddle repeatedly (which seems to work better at times), etc., and I've replaced the idle jets.

I am told its vapor lock and common with Dinos. is the more gas in the carburetor the lower likelihood it vaporizes and the better chance I have of firing up? is there an easier solution?

thank you

2. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Try running non-ethanol gas in it. Straight gas has a higher boiling-point.

You can always clip a wooden clothes-pin somewhere on a fuel line (redneck heat-sink).

3. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    How could a wooden clothes pin do anything? Wood does not transmit or radiate heat very well.

4. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I haven't heard that vapor lock is common.

The system is designed to flow fuel constantly thru the feeding fuel lines by having a small orifice past the carbs in the line to the opposite tank. This allows there to be pressure in the system but a constant flow of fuel so it doesn't overheat.

5. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Try to press the pedal slowly to the floor while cranking. Not before. As soon as the engine fires up release the pedal not to overrev.

6. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    In other words, a shade tree-mechanic's trick. Didn't say it worked.

7. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I used to put a clothespin on the fuel line on my '66 VW to prevent vapor lock. I don't think it really did much but I felt better about it.

8. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    I have owned my Dino since '74- and Vapor lock has been a fact of life for me all these years.

It can get you in trouble if you do not anticipate that it will happen. One day I got my Dino started but I did not let her run a bit before I came out of a parking spot and into an intersection. I was in the middle of turning when the light changed and had almost got hit because the car would not move.

I normally give her one pump and then hold the pedal half way down when cranking. When it catches I give it a bit of a pedal flutter then let it run for at least one minute before I drive away.

Vapor lock and high speed left hand turn fuel starvation was something all of the Dino owners back then talked about and lived with.

Perhaps today's mechanics have worked out these kinks- since I am my own mechanic I have just lived with these slight quirks all these years.

9. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I guess when you park the Dino the carbs heat soak and percolates the fuel in the float chamber. Mine has the same problem. The carb'd Fiat x1/9 had factory cooling fans to blow on the carbs for this very reason.