RED TAPE ON ANSA EXHAUST | FerrariChat

RED TAPE ON ANSA EXHAUST

Discussion in '206/246' started by elias amiouni, May 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. elias amiouni

elias amiouni Rookie

Aug 22, 2012
    BEIRUT,LEBANON
    Full Name:
    ELIAS AMIOUNI
    I have been trying to find out where I can buy the red tape which is found on all the ANSA exhaust tail pipes. The tape eventually comes off with time due to heat and age. Any help will be most appreciated.

2. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Elias,

Parker Hall ([email protected]) has a 'red tape set" $15.00

I purchased this and it looks the part although I ended up using 3m electrical tape 'Scotch 35' red.

Recently applied, so I cant say for sure how long it will last.

3. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    My experience with the Parker Hall material is it doesn't last. So I too use red electrical tape, cut down to the correct width and applied. That material seems to last at least a year for me, but obviously it all depends on how much you drive your Dino and how you drive it (i.e., how hot the exhaust tips get). I always replace mine before showing my Dino in Monterey each August (along with painting the inside of the exhaust tips) for that `new' look.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I used a very high grade automotive vinyl that has stood up very well in the first thousand miles of driving. That said I don't know of any decal that will stand up to long term heat so you need to be ready to change them often for the freshly restored look.

5. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
  6. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Use high temp red paint. Never have to worry again.

Cheers

Pietro

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good answers.

You could also use a fibreglass tape (from the 3M line) as a "first wrap" to help isolate the final layer from the metal and heat

8. Renato

Renato Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2013
    New York
    #8 Renato, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #9 synchro, May 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I called Ansa USA years ago thinking this tape was special. It is not.
    (my Ansa Sport has a faint "ANSA" logo in it).

Ansa USA claimed they had the original tape but would only sell it to me if I bought the stickers. I did, all arrived, and felt cheated...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I went through the same thing with Ansa.

The tape in post #5 is an exact match and is usually in stock at any Home Depot. It is the proper width and color. For $3.98, you get 20 feet, probably enough to do Ralph Lauren's entire collection or to keep your car in fresh tape for next century or so if it eventually burns off. I've had it on my 330 for at least 8 years and it still looks like new (but I think the 330 exhaust runs a lot cooler than the mid-engine cars).

It can take a few attempts to get the tape perfectly straight, and to avoid having the tape get stuck to itself while you are putting it on, so it's handy to have a large amount of extra tape.