Ferrari planning a new Dino? | FerrariChat

Ferrari planning a new Dino?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Jon Hansen, Jun 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    Ferrari planning return of the Dino | Fox News

Any news on the street about this?

Ferrari planning return of the Dino

Published June 05, 2015

| FoxNews.com

Ferrari is planning to resurrect the legendary Dino name after four decades.

"It’s not a matter of if, but when,” company chairman Sergio Marchionne tells Autocar.

Dino was launched in 1968 as a sub-brand of the Italian automaker, and was used on the V6 and V8-powered models it produced through 1976. The mid-engine coupes were priced similarly to the Porsche 911, around $14,000 in the 1970s, but are so sought after today that they command upwards of $750,000 at auction.

While details on the new car have not been revealed, Marchionne says it will have around 500 hp -- less power than any of its current models -- but won’t be “cheap.” A turbocharged V6 engine is the likely choice for a powertrain, which would also help Ferrari meet its various fleet emissions and fuel economy requirements around the world.

Ferrari currently manufactures the V6 engines used by sister company Maserati. Marchionne says an internal review of the use of a six-cylinder in a Ferrari was positive, but that the new Dino must be “done right.”

2. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    #2 gt4me, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  5. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Didn't know whether to post this question here or on the "Market Value" thread. But was just curious how a new Dino might affect the values of our Dinos. It seems with other cars, when a new model is introduced after a hiatus, the interest in the previous model increases as well as the values. Cases in point may be the NSX or Ford GT?

I feel the current value on Dinos is pretty healthy. But what do I know. Is there room to go higher? I'm guessing it's just market driven.

6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #6 4CamGT, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    I think it would confirm and celebrate the iconic status of the Dino with Ferrari. What is important to me is that it is gorgeous, right sized and worthy of the Dino name like the original. A gated manual shifter option would signal Ferrari is listening to a few of us who love an analog and pure driving experience.

Freeman

7. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    most likely with a paddle shift and sporting turbos.

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  9. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
  10. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    That would be a very appealing car for me. I have a new Italia and, while I love its looks and performance, often wish it were smaller. I wouldn't mind a paddle-shift, "digital-age" Dino. We aIready have our 206/246s, so that would make a nice contrast. I wish it would be NA though.

Andy

11. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    "they command upwards of $750,000 at auction."

Huh? Do they really need to exaggerate? I would think the truth would be impressive enough.