3...2...1...ignition | FerrariChat

3...2...1...ignition

Discussion in '206/246' started by mar3kl, Jun 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #1 mar3kl, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think I've finally solved my hot-start woes. I sent Fred Winterburn (capacitordischargeignition.com) an empty, vapor-blasted AEC103A enclosure and he installed his CDI system into it. The components fit very nicely in the original enclosure, and the new system uses the existing connection layout. The result is an exact copy of the OEM setup (including wiring) but a much better system. The previous system was a Super4. It uses an enclosure that from a distance looks correct, but isn't really. It also uses non-standard wiring and requires a ballast resistor for the coil.

After some limited testing, the car cold- and hot-starts very quickly, much better than before. I'll continue to keep an eye on behavior over the summer, but so far I'm very happy. Fred's a great guy to work with, and if you're looking for an ignition upgrade while maintaining originality, he's your man.

Some photos below. First the original with Fred's internals (left, blue label still has protective covering) vs. the Super4 box (right). Second, the Super4 layout, with a dummy emergency coil sans ballast resistor and wiring. Finally, the original layout installed, missing only the correct stickers on the main (black) coil. Gold-cad emergency coil is correct for April '73.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    nice work, a well tuned car will always assist in hot starting issues.