A Matching Number Carpet Thread | FerrariChat

A Matching Number Carpet Thread

Discussion in '206/246' started by Dino246gts, Jul 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    #1 Dino246gts, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know there have been many threads on matching numbers......car, engine, transmission, etc. But I don't recall seeing a thread on carpet (except the thread in the carpet) matching numbers. Anyway, I was cleaning my carpets today and on the underside of the trunk floor carpet, there was the matching number to the firewall number. There was no number on the firewall carpet......maybe the heat had worn it off after 43 years. Also, no numbers on the 2 little side floor carpets. I just thought this was interesting. Did I miss a previous thread on this carpet thread?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    A time capsule! something so simple too the person who put the chalk on the carpet can mean so much to the owner of these fabulous automobiles,I found the chalk inscribed on the fibreglass section behind the front lights to think this was done some 40 years ago and still intact is amazing.

3. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    This is just a further example of the hand-built nature of these fantastic automobiles. Fred

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Interesting! I should check mine. By the way, is the white styropore underlay standard? I have that, too. I always assumed a PO installed it.

Andres

5. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    I very much doubt it Andre,mine was original before restoration and in that area was that yellow fibre wool type of insullation,you can see it on some of the restos that have taken place on Fchat.

Johnno

6. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, Johnno!

7. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Is it possible that earlier cars or US vs other countries had styrofoam vs yellow wool?
    I've owned my US 72 GTS for 34 years and the previous (3rd) owner owned it for 2 years. The styrofoam was in it when he got it. So either one of the first 2 owners installed or had it installed or it was factory or dealer installed. I also have styrofoam on the sides of the trunk.

Also, I had my interior floor mats out today for cleaning and no numbers on the underside. It seems that only the one mat on the floor of the rear trunk has the number. But why? As opposed to body panels, etc. that have to fit perfectly and would be car specific, it would seem that carpeting would be interchangeable and you wouldn't need a number.