Pinifarina emblem suitability | FerrariChat

Pinifarina emblem suitability

Discussion in '206/246' started by swift53, Jul 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Use the new one or the old one?

1. New

2. Old

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #1 swift53, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Found this PF emblem that is exact in dimensions to the early versions, at least exact for my "L" series.

This one was from a 275GTB, thus in metal, instead of the lighter weight material that was on originally. Again, savings galore at Ferrari spa...

No pins, instead threaded posts with nuts, so inviolable.

Will this be a suitable substitution? My .05, is yes, but would like to hear from others.

As an aside, I have the distinct feeling that it might be worth a lot more as a spare part
    for its intended 275 GTB use, but the version I have is unobtainable...or just stop being so anal, and use the old one with the very patinated look, gluing it on, and sell the other.

Regards, Alberto
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would carefully cut those studs off (avoiding heat buildup to damage the front face) and using the 3M Emblem Adhesive Sheet, covering the entrie back surface....

Stick it on your car.

You tried Black Bart's Emporium?
    I think he has every Italian car badge known to modern man!

I share your guilt, about the 275GTB application, but WE don't own one!! LOL!

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Do what pleases you, but what is more authentic than using the old signs with the wonderful patina! I am definitely going to mount the old worn emblems on my old lady when it comes to that stage.

Just my opinion.

Peter

4. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think it depends on how the rest of the car looks. If the rest of the car has been restored to "as new" condition the old one will stand out and let the car as a whole down visually.

5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Jim, new paint, new upholstery, and as many patinated parts as possible. It is a difficult choice.

The 275 GTB emblem is slightly higher vis-a-vis the original one, as the inside is higher on the 275, so right away there is a flaw. The one for Dino, is lighter weight also.

BlackBart has every emblem on earth, except...take a guess.

Peter has an extremely valid point, and as I am trying to retain as much as possible of what was rescuable from the car, and most all know what a derelict it was, I think I ought to retain the original as well as using an 'older' horn button with some hairline cracks, even though I have two NOS.

Or maybe not. It will really depend on the build of the car, and appreciate the OA appearance as I go along.

Thank you for the input!

Regards, Alberto

6. afer

afer Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Uruguay, S. America
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Ferraro
    Hello Alberto: it's difficult with your emblem, but I have the same idea you have about retain and restore all the original parts that allow that. In all the cars I restored the idea was to re-use all the original parts. But I don't have the cars to go to concours. I use them in classic car activities or drive in week ends. Regards, Alvaro