A single Dino Phillips Head Screwdriver for $949.99 | FerrariChat

A single Dino Phillips Head Screwdriver for $949.99

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinogts, Jul 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Incredible. I will keep mine at home.

3. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Tony really is a great guy and all of is stuff is original. I've bought and sold stuff with him for many many years.

4. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

No beef with him, but I am still surprised at the price. But as I pointed out elsewhere on FCHAT, when tool kits with all the wrong wrenches are being offered for well over $8,000, $949.99 might not be that much out of line, unfortunately.

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Mine live in a gun vault.

Along with the books, pouches, jack, chock, lug and warranty card!

6. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

What about the battery warranty card, the clock hang tag, and the yellow dust rag? You have enough room for all of that in your gun vault?

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    It's all garbage in reality.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

His dust rag is a repop, courtesy of Tom Shaughnessy. If he has a battery warranty card, he stole it at a car show, and I sold someone else the clock tag, which wasn't original to the car anyway, before putting the car in Uro's care. :D

The clock tag I had came attached to a replacement clock I purchased some time ago. Interesting side note, I eventually sold the tag at a higher price than the clock it was attached to.

D

9. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Got me there!

Of course, the only really irreplaceable item is the warranty card.

10. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    No kidding. It's a wonder anyone kept any of it.

11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    My wife's major complaint is my pack rat tendencies. Of course, now she does not ask any more why I still have that sort of "garbage" with the other cars.

Clearly, Dino did not come with any, but as a bonus, it came with Mangusta side glass :)

Regards, Alberto

12. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #13 abstamaria, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That is why I stored my Dino's tools and jack and now carry these more useful sets from later models. They cost just two or so screwdrivers, I recall, also from Tony (easy to deal with, and he packed the sets really well). The incorrect tool and Jack sets with their Schedoni cases impress the non-Dino guys at the club meetings, too!

Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Now if you could just remove that Horsey and the word Ferrari that is embossed on the suitcases and substitute the Dino emblem, that would be perfection!

14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    You're right, Dinogts. :)

15. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have sold Tony Randazzo several items, worn out repro Dino Daytona seats, modern Beta wrenches, etc that he puts up for auction claiming them originals for 10 times the price when I made it clear they were not when I sold them.
    His misrepresentations have gotten so bad that I blocked him as a bidder

16. VicJano

VicJano Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    Kingston upon Thames
    Full Name:
    Chris O'Connor
    I totally agree.
    Its the driving of and the look of the Dino that has the real value.
    The ephemeral bits are incidental - apart to those who know the price of everything and value of nothing.

17. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Pretty harsh language, Vic.

18. VicJano

VicJano Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    Kingston upon Thames
    Full Name:
    Chris O'Connor
    Harsh? Not really. I bought my Dino precisely because it was an affordable. Something that I could go out and do a rally in without worrying about having to pay exorbitant repair costs, bits being stolen off it or the whole car disappearing. There speculators are ruining Dino ownership for the real enthusiasts

19. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #20 abstamaria, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    We are very different then. I bought the Dino because it was a dream to have one, not because it was cheap and I could trash it without worry.

That is true of the handful of sports cars I have. Each one I have a personal attachment to. I was lucky to have bought them when they were not overly expensive, but most times it was still a stretch for me to able to afford them. I didn't buy them as investments as I tend to keep cars forever - one has been with me for 38 years. They were, and still are, a passion for me. Practicality was not relevant.

I drive them on club tours, rallies, and hillclimbs, and raced for a good while. One of them was an out-and-out race car, a 1963 Lotus 23. I didn't buy it because it was cheap and I could race it without worrying about the damage. It was an expensive car for me, but Jim Clark is my hero and I've wanted a 23 as he raced since I was in school. Unlike you, I would feel bad if things were stolen off of it or it disappeared. I would be devastated if I crashed it, but, if that were to happen, would spare no effort rebuilding it better than before. I feel that way about the few cars I have, including the Dino.

Obviously we are very different. They are not just appliances for me to get my thrills in.

I enjoy learning about the Dino, through this forum and books like the fabulous Dino compendium, which probably wouldn't appeal to you. I like knowing about the model's history and trivia about it, and was happy to find that the tools that came with my car are original. My 1948 MG TC didn't come with tools when I bought it decades ago, and I am still trying to assemble an authentic set. I am sure there are some here on the Dino and the vintage forums who are like that - people who you say know the price of everything and the value of nothing. (I have to confess to not knowing prices either - a double whammy.)

I not only belong to that august group who are clueless on value but, based on your criteria, am unfortunately also not a real enthusiast such as yourself.

20. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Welcome to the real world Chris. I remember when you could buy million $ cars in the early 70's for next to nothing, but alas, the world is a different one, speculators or not.

It is simply reality, so face it, your Dino is no longer affordable to the "real enthusiasts", as you so quaintly describe it.

So, if you are that upset about it all, sell the Dino, and go buy an MGB. The rest of money, well, you could speculate with it.

By the way, this is a post about screwdrivers, and my .02, is that if you have an issue in Dinoland, start a new thread titled:

"Speculators are ruining Dino ownership for the real enthusiasts"

Regards, Alberto