Concours Help | FerrariChat

Concours Help

Discussion in '206/246' started by 2dinos, Jul 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    After another attempt on the Concours field I walked away with nothing (Against some crazy gorgeous cars in category which also received nothing), I heard over the PA that Dino's that display the horse on the back will suffer a heavy points deduction. Good to know since you don't get your score or find out where you lack unless you place. I left my horse on the back even through the intense restoration process because it was put there by the PO and I like it, also, every time I buy parts for it, it's from a Ferrari source.

So the question is--- Is there a way to hide the horse, maybe with a car club badge, or decal during judging? The car next to me received best in class, and it had a variety of badges and stickers, so I guess this is ok.

I was thinking of using magnetic sheet cut into a ring with some generic car club on it for this purpose. But what club reference - Hmmmmm ?? Doesn't help that it's one of the larger horses :( Thanks for any ideas.

2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I am not certain a decal/sticker/badge/etc., will not deduct points as well...

Regards, Alberto

3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    What country are you in?

4. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    If your car is in otherwise all together original condition prepped for concours exhibition the horse badge alone should not be enough to disqualify you from placing. Just my $.02

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Almost every show or event have their own set of guide lines or rules for judging.
    Therefor outcomes can vary hugely.

For example, judging at Ferrari Club of America sanctioned events uses guide lines created by IAC/PFA which, IIRC, are "adopted" or similar to the ones used at Pebble Beach Concours.
    These guide lines (rules ?) are mainly focusing on authenticity & originality, meaning the car will get point deductions on anything and/or everything that wasn't originally built/installed at the factory. Some small exceptions exist, for example most Daytonas didn't have a Radio when shipped from the factory and since several "options" were available, they were sold and installed by the dealer. Any and all odd or unusual features that might be considered original has to have documentation for proof.

Or for another example, some Concours shows feature/include boats, bikes, customs and/or hot rods. How do you judge those and compare them to "factory correct" vehicles for "Best of Show" honors ?

6. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Thank you guys!

I thought of it not being enough to lose, but what if I was close?? I'll never know since I didn't place 1st, 2nd, or 3rd -OR- possibly win "People's Choice".

And as for what badges or stickers are ok ?? The Concours game is a PITA, and you can chase down the little details to the nth degree, drive yourself crazy, and then lose 'cause the competition has a polished key or tires with a date code that matches the production date etc etc. I really do prefer open track days. Just getting older and sitting on the lawn sounds appealing.

Also, I don't want to pluck the horse and leave two holes to worry about.

7. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I just heard from a friend of a friend who knows a judge (Yeah - I love that solid info connection too :) ) that putting a horsie on cars that did not come with them can be a 5 pt deduction! Supposedly missing something, or having some imperfect chrome or paint chip is 1/2 to 1 pt, but putting on a horse is super frowned upon :(.

And I just spent a small chunk getting those super original wiper blades. I was warned that Concourse events are no where near as much fun as doing track days. I still think a dealer sticker, or something that covers the horse holes could be less inflammatory and do the trick.

8. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#8 dinogts, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    If you were at an official Ferrari Club event, then, generally, it should have been conducted under the International Advisory Council for the Preservation of the Ferrari Automobile ("IACPFA") rules. Here is a link to some of the provisions:

Judging Standards/IACPFA

What someone's opinion is, or what one "thinks" should pass, is irrelevant, unless compared to those rules.

Usually, you should be provided a copy of the relevant rules soon after having registered.

It is important to note that safety items, and items that are comsidered consumables such as tires, windows, and batteries can generally be replaced without being exact replacements as long as they are suitable replacements. For example, with a 246, the tires should have the same specification (205/70VR14), but they do not have to be Michelins.

9. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Many thanks!!
    I will start studying this.

10. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I see some stuff already like the spare is a different brand tire.

Fun-fun-fun!

11. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

There is more info available, but the IACPFA guidelines are a start.