Dino Love Thrives! | FerrariChat

Dino Love Thrives!

Discussion in '206/246' started by 2GT, Jul 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    The weekend before last I took my Dino to a local show where I first displayed it in 1978. The event, sponsored by a regional British marque club, has had four different venues in forty-plus years, and in past years, the application form allowed an exhibitor to check a box that said "Do not judge." I never had the car judged by the club-member volunteers. Under what is becoming a very popular formula, there are apparently now a number of "people's-choice" categories for awards, though I don't know what all of them are. I left the show about 2 1/2 hours before awards were given, due to the extremely hot and humid weather, and because awards are never on my mind. Yesterday, a club representative contacted me, telling me that the club had been trying to locate me to give me two trophies for my Dino. I picked up a box with the trophies, and when I got home and opened it, I was surprised and very pleased with the categories. One was for "Future Sports Car Owner's Choice," and the other was for "Car You Want to Drive Home In." I guess the Dino still has it, for both young and old, whether Ferrari or just "almost"! Fred

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Your car deserves both awards, Fred!

Andres

3. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks for the kind words, Andres. Best regards, Fred

4. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    Thats cool!

Congratulations!

That reminds me on something similar! I attended in a local car show with my Mini (ERA Turbo) and got second place in the Mini category behind the only other Mini (he got his yellow Saftey Vest with him, i not... Some German Safety item). But surprisingly i got 2nd place Best of Show! (No detailed car, dirty carpets, flys and dust on paint, etc...) And i only participated to suport their Club. Was kind of surprised!

5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Good show Fred!

Regards, Alberto

6. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks, guys! The most fun at car shows occurs when people who know nothing about a particular car are somehow drawn to it. When many people from different perspectives all like the same car, it says that it is something special. I don't think that any of us Dinomaniacs wouldn't consider the Dino special. After all, it's the Ferrari that tifosi love to hate! Fred

7. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #7 Pantdino, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Long after all the Mustangs, Camaros, muscle cars, etc have gone to the junk yards people will still love the Dino. Such a perfect design will never be produced again because of safety and aerodynamics considerations.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Totally agree. The Dino is unique in that it's quirkiness is also some of it's assets. It was built in a time when there were no marketing departments doing focus groups or computers telling engineers how to save 2 cents.

It's not fast, wasn't the best performance car of its age, certainly is not reliable, but is a wonderful time capsule of fun long lost in today's world.

It's a pity most people will never understand what they are missing.

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Quirky is right - it seems every task I need to do on the Dino requires left handed access