Should a new "Ferrari" be considered a REAL Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Should a new "Ferrari" be considered a REAL Ferrari?

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinogts, Jul 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I think it is about time to bury the whole "Is a Dino a real Ferrari?" type threads and instead ask a more relevant question -

Should a new "Ferrari" be considered a REAL Ferrari?

Or, are they all now simply Fiat-Chryslers?

2. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    They are Ferraris in the same way that both pre-war and post-war Alfas are Alfas.

Both can be appreciated for what they are but are so different they cannot really be compared.

3. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Karting

Jun 16, 2013
    Define "Fiat-Chrysler".

4. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think he means that Fiat-Chrysler is the parent company of Ferrari, like GM is the parent company of Chevy and Cadillac. Really all cars made by GM are GM cars, regardless of what it says on it.

5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Uh, yup, you got it.

So, let's call an end to the "Is a Dino a real Ferrari?" stupid and pointless question, and instead address a question of even more import than "Has that thing atop Donald Trump's head had its rabies shot?" and ask instead:

"Have all Ferraris since 1969 been Fiats, and are they all Fiat-Chryslers from now on?"

That is the only true and meaningful question left in the automotive world.

6. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    You could not be more correct! People obsessed with "name brands" do not understand this clear and simple fact. I recall a sentence from an "Automobile Quarterly" article featured in a special Chevrolet issue which stated: "Chevrolet does not manufacture one automobile; they are all made by GM Assembly Division." I have told people who question whether a Dino is a "real" Ferrari that, if a Dino is only a FIAT, every Ferrari being made today is so much more of a FIAT, since ownership plus decision-making lie totally with FCA management. Enzo Ferrari oversaw Dino development and production, although FIAT technically took over the manufacturing arm of Ferrari with the 1969 Ferrari-FIAT agreement. Auto-industry insiders refer to "lines," and Ferrari today is but a "line" produced by FCA. Fred

7. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #7 abstamaria, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I splurged and ordered an Italia last year. Being used to the Dino, I am constantly surprised by how many times the prancing horse appears on the Italia. Sometimes when one doesn't expect to see it. It seems the factory doesn’t want one to forget.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login