Oil pressure gauge calibration | FerrariChat

Oil pressure gauge calibration

Discussion in '206/246' started by snowsports1, Jul 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi I took my oil pressure gauge apart today to calibrate it and it is a simple pair of coils with only one adjuster screw which appears only to adjust needle position. Is it possible to calibrate these gauges? If so how is it done please

2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    What gave you the clue that the gauge needle needs calibration?

My guess, is you would have to send it to an instrument shop,
    Otherwise you would need a mechanical gauge and piggyback the electrical sender,
    compare the two, and bring the original to the same standard of the mechanical one.

I have had the same experience in a racing Alfa, and whereas a factory gauge would read less than 40 lbs, at high rpm, in the mechanical version, it would be at 60+ lbs.
    Is this your issue?

Regards, Alberto

3. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yes that is my issue, I will send off for calibration but wanted to know if it was possible to calibrate before I waste time and money.

4. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    #4 Stefan Elshout, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto

6. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi guys I know how to establish if the gauge is reading correctly, what I need to find out is how to adjust the gauge or the sender to read correctly. My electric gauge is reading 20 less that the calibrated mechanical one. There doesn't appear to be an adjustment screw in the gauge

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    The sender is not adjustable...

Regards, Alberto

PS Post this thread in the technical section.

8. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    The sender is adjustable.
    You have to take of the cap on top of it. If you look at the second picture you'll see the u-shaped linkage, if you decrease the length by squeezing it with a plier you'll decrease the resistance of the sender unit which results in a higher reading on your gauge in the car.
    It's quite sensitive but with a mechanical gauge attached you can calibrate it quite precisely.

9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Stefan, you are right on the adjustability, the only issue is taking the cap off
    and not marring the unit. I am slightly anal on that.

Regards, Alberto

10. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This is probably the lazy man's way, but I got the engine warm and wrote down the electric gauge readings at different RPMs. Then I took out the sender and screwed in a mechanical gauge and did the same thing.

The electric gauge read about 25lbs low so I just made a little label that says "25 LO" on the gauge. If the engine temp does not change significantly between the two runs it should be accurate.