Tire Question | FerrariChat

Tire Question

Discussion in '206/246' started by 2dinos, Jul 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    The Concours requires that all 5 tires be the same. I have 4 NOS Pirelli P4000 205/70HR14, and am in need of one more.

Anybody have a lead on one of these for sale in very good -to - excellent condition to use as a spare?

Thanks.

PS: I looked into the $2000 XWX approach, but don't want to burn that much dough and I'm pretty happy with the Pirelli both for performance AND looks. Also, kind of getting burnt of the whole 14's going away, then 15's, now 16's are turning into compact discs etc.

Wine - wine - wine :)

2. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    the spare tire does not have to match the four tires on the ground if the spare tire is an original one

3. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    To Matthias' point, straight from FCA Judging Guidelines...see last sentence. I didn't realize this exception either, though I'm not exactly sure what is meant by "original specially-equipped factory item". How does this differ from "original equipped factory item"?

8. Routine replacement items, such as spark plugs, filters, battery, window glass, and tires, need not be the exact original brand or type provided that replacements conform to the general appearance, characteristics, and size of the original. Tires with the correct profile should be fitted to original rims and any spare should match unless the spare is an original specially-equipped factory item.

4. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    the exception is when the spare tire is still the original one fitted by the factory when the Dino was build...

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Interesting point, what spare was used on cars with the Campagnolo Elektron wheel option?
    The oiptional Campagnolo or the standrad Cromodora?

The spare tire screw down has never fit the wider Campagnolo wheels leading to make one think it was the standard wheel

6. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    My interpretation of “any spare should match unless the spare is an original specially-equipped factory item”, is that if the car came with a full sized spare mounted on a matching rim, then the spare should match the tires on the ground. If the car came with a space-saver spare or odd sized spare on a non-matching rim, i.e. a narrow emergency use tire, it doesn’t have to match.
    Just my reading – I don’t show cares…

7. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    The spare tire hold-down device on my car fits the Campy spare, Scott. It is longer than the standard item.

Andy

8. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Campagnolo....

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What length please?

Thank you

10. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Hey thanks guys! I will re-study the interpretation. Maybe I can simply get that spare set up as original (Or at least as close as possible given I re-finished all 5 wheels). Hopefully the judges will accept that the spare had the tire replaced.

11. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    "The normal rule is that all five tires must be correct and matching​.
    However, in rare cases, this would mean removing an absolutely original
    spare tire to accomplish this - and we do not want to destroy such
    originality.
    The brand/make of tire is irrelevant as long as it is the correct size and
    profile."

hope this helps....
    in your case you need the fifth Pirelli tire for your spare wheel or you risk to get deduction....

12. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Hi German Dino
    That's what I was thinking. Those P4000 are crazy rare. I was thinking of cars that it may fit like Toyota from the '80s and search junk yards :(

How we love them so! 😀

13. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Michelin look and drive best.....

14. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    If I do mich, I only want to buy ONE for the spare out of protest :). And BTW, anybody know of a P4000?

15. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    #15 Longstone Tyres, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi

I think they haven't made the P4000 for some time. It came out in the late 80's. Could i boringly suggest you check the date codes on t he tyres before you put your foot down.

The XWX can be got here 205/70VR14 Michelin XWX we mostly don't charge shipping and they are new stock. the price is currently good as the Euro is having a difficult time. i know when i say the price is good we all wince at the cost. i mean it is relatively good and worth it for what they are, but there is no doubt that it adds up to a big credit card bill. We try to soften the blow by offering free smutty posters like this.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login