Dino 248 GT, Dino 246 with V8 | FerrariChat

Dino 248 GT, Dino 246 with V8

Discussion in '206/246' started by Dino Club Germany, Aug 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino Club Germany

Dino Club Germany Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
  2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Wow, Kevin spent 11 years building his Dino and the quality of the work is looks stunning!
    Now we need him to tell us how fast it goes with a more powerful engine, bigger brakes and wheels?
    I imagine it would be quite a ride!

3. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Looks like this GTS was in really bad shape early on, loads of rust and a monumental project.
    I can see new alloy swinging panels were made, many new chassis tubes etc. Huge tasks.
    More here:
    Ferrari 246 Dino restoration page
    Ferrari 246 Dino restoration 2nd page

This Dino chassis was definitely saved, maybe the rest of the drivetrain had gone.

4. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Great way to spend a LOT of money. Looks awesome to me!

5. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    A lot of money and time, and obviously a project of love. Personally, I believe if you want a more powerful car that has all the mod cons, buy a more powerful car that has all the mod cons. I am a little relieved that the project car was a really rough one, so the increasingly rare gem that was the Dino didn't lose a specimen to the plastic surgeon. I fully intend to replace my car someday if circumstances conspire, so I want as many "real" Dinos as possible to survive!!

To each their own. It's a beautiful car (although I think the wheels are way too blingy even for this vehicle, and the rollcage, while a good idea, ruins the GTS lines) but it is not a Dino. The photography is truly superb.

6. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    I think your old car might be coming back to the market soon.... fyi

7. 246gts

246gts Karting

Jan 10, 2005
    cheshire, uk
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    A strong warning is "de rigueur" here:

WARNING! There are some things that, once having been looked at, cannot be forgotten (and forgiven) forever.

If, like me, you like "classics" not being toyed with, do not click on the thread.

Rgds

9. Dino Club Germany

Dino Club Germany Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
  10. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    I've been for a ride in this car and it's spectacular in every respect. Of course, all the mods are fully reversible. Kevin is no fool. John in CT.

11. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    In the world of Porsche enthusiasts, this kind of thing happens all the time. It would be great to take a 12V platform that's still affordable like the 400 series and shove it into something prettier like a Detomaso Pantera. I'm not sure if the geometry works but it would be fun to try.

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  13. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    Is the chassisnumber known?
    original or not - Kevins work looks great.

14. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    After viewing the "before" pictures, all I can say is, if a Dino is "almost a Ferrari," this particular example was "almost a Dino"! Fred

15. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    What if Ferrari had not used Bertone for the 246 successor, the 308GT4?
    What if they'd kept the 246GT styling and upgraded the drivetrain and brakes?

(Good choice the 328 drivetrain- I think the largest displacement transversely mounted engine that would fit, all mounted north-south after that?)

16. docdozer

docdozer Karting

Jun 17, 2009
    Central Maine,
    Full Name:
    Charley
    Actually I really like the car including the carbon fiber bits. The only thing I really abhor are the wheels, they just look wrong on that body.

It's a nice one off and seems well done. Lots of cars get modded and rodded....

17. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hey Guys' I'm not emotionally attached to the wheels, they were kicking around my workshop and are held on by 5 bolts........... if anyone wants to donate a more ascetically dialled in version I'm game xxxx kev

18. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  19. LindsayT

LindsayT Rookie

Jun 20, 2014
    I agree with John that Kevin's car is spectacular in every respect.

Like John, I've been privileged to have been for a ride in this car and it's brilliant - somuchso that I wrote a small article about it for a newsletter:

"My lifelong dream has always been to ride in a Ferrari, and thanks to Lynn, a friend I made on a recent holiday, this recently came true.
    "In conversation with her I mentioned my dream, and she told me that she and her husband Kevin own a Ferrari 246 GTS Dino and would arrange for me to go for a ride in it.
    "And so on a hot sunny day in early August I went down to see Lynn and Kevin and had a truly wonderful and memorable day. In the afternoon Kevin lifted me into their 2-seater Ferrari. The engine is directly behind the seats, so when he started her up, the roar from the engine was loud and intoxicating. As we sped along the country roads I was amazed just how smooth the ride is for a car with a low ride-height, and the acceleration was so very quick. We had almost got back to where we had started when Kevin asked me if we should return or do we do a really quick lap. He looked at my face and knew the answer – and so he just put his foot down and away we went on another lap.
    "It’s impossible to express what it felt like to ride in a Ferrari, suffice to say it was the most amazing experience of my life. Thank you so much Lynn & Kevin for making me feel so welcome and giving me such a perfect day from start to finish."

20. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew

Brilliant!
    A true enthusiast!

21. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What size would fit with the brakes? Spokes need more meat, maybe 348/355 challenge speedlines?

Love the car otherwise, brings to mind the singer style Porsches, but better because ferrari.

22. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Not sure I grasp the full meaning of this post - please elaborate.

Bob Z.

23. maxlouis

maxlouis Rookie

Oct 27, 2011
    #23 maxlouis, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Plenty of room in the world for a car like that. Nice.

A question, the article mentions future plans for electric power steering. As a 308 owner the steering rack is one of the weak areas but apart from Chinese reproductions there doesn't seem to be a 'bolt in' upgrade. Is there one for the 246?

25. 1971dino246gt

1971dino246gt Karting

Oct 9, 2010
    @guygowrie for the powersteering for your 308, you can try this guy from Holland:

Ferrari 308 GTS