Master cylinder brake fluid leak | FerrariChat

Master cylinder brake fluid leak

Discussion in '206/246' started by snowsports1, Sep 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi guys I am struggling to find a leak from the master cylinder area on my Rhd gt. I keep seeing moisture below the booster / master cylinder and I can't see any visible leaks. I have fitted new hoses from the reservoirs to the master cylinder and all the brake components are new or refurbished. I have separated the master cylinder from the servo without disconnecting the brake lines but still no sign of leaking brake fluid. Possibly the master cylinder is only leaking under pressure but I can't replicate this without installing it back on the booster. Very frustrating, any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    rear seal of the master is probable leaking.. its a shaft seal, and connection between master and booster is designed to allow the leakage so the fluid doesn't go into the booster itself. look carefully at the booster flange and you should see a small indentation.... so that then MC mounted, the 4 bolts are tight yet there is sort of a built in "relief" to allow fluid to escape should the shaft seal on the MC leak.

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I agree with the above-mentioned main source for leaks. Alternatively, the two hoses from the reservoir could leak as you mention yourself. I have some very simple wire clamps on my reservoir hoses and they a prone to be sweating when they have been taken off a few times. If you have these types of hose clamps, I suggest you renew them or change them out to ordinary clamps and see if that solves your issue.

Best Peter