Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 206/246

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: LSJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bayer View Post
Fair points all Though that rergistry is an amalgam of a lot of really good regional insight There were 40 us cars 10 years ago now 42 so while I hope there are 300 but I seriously doubt it. My engine numbers are based on hard earned experience where I had to rebuild a $25,000 rebuild for 2X.... Simply put these are 8,000 rpm engines that if operated at that part of the performance envelope will grenade to awful end if not done really right. However if the goal is a low RPM cruiser then all that other work may not be necessary So too the body work the trade space between bondo and and an english hammer is dollars and the portable ultra sound machine levels the field.
For the record the price of these makes me sick at heart because like the Enzo 12s no one drives tham anymore It wasn't that long ago my Son, LashDeep, BrianP and I would thrash about the subrurban roads near Washington with abandon in 4 Enzo era 12s Today those four geat cars' worth would curb the abandon of any of us. There is much lost in these gains
It is sad indeed. We used to drive our old 12s to dinner and to the tennis court. I would think twice now if I still had one. Heck, we even think twice about taking our Detomaso out these days for fear of damaging it.

LSJ
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Olivier Perault
lovely shape

Pretty cool to see a top down DINO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DINO 2.4.jpg (45.9 KB, 224 views)
Old 04-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mike Sassaman
I knew I should have kept that Dino

I owned a 1967 Fiat Dino Spider Series II Serial Number 1090 and sold it in 2003 for about $22k. It was nice and had a recent engine rebuild, knock off wheels, nice paint and interior. I then bought a 308QV and later traded it for the 348 Speciale that I have now. I sure wish I had kept the Fiat Dino and had it plus the 348 today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fiat Dino at Pocono.jpg (20.8 KB, 166 views)
Old 04-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300GW/RO View Post
I cannot see the 2.4 fiat dino spider double the 2.0....many feel that due to all alloy motor, ko etc that the 2.0 is the way to go. Interesting but there it is,

Jack
imho:
I couldn't agree more. The construction of the alloy engine with steel liners, and the Borrani knock-off hubs in a sexy - sexy convertible body is like a Mini-330GTS Ferrari. Also, the trans in the 2.4 is ZF which is rally good, but the 2.0 gearbox has has a pressure fed oil pump which technically is quite unique in automotive engineering. The 2.0 quad shock limited-slip rear axle also has lots of character on a windy road.

As for how they drive -- Unless you're doing a Mille Miglia, who cares? Want to get around the track fast? get a 458
Old 04-21-2017, 04:57 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Pete Riley
Lovely cars. I owned a couple of Dino coupes before buying my Spider as a basket case around ten years ago. I always regarded them as quite a unique and exotic car but a restoration project was the only way I could afford to own one. Fortunately current values have absorbed the costs and some.
And blasting around the English country lanes on a summer's evening is sublime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dino.jpg (110.0 KB, 93 views)
Old 04-21-2017, 07:46 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Fred
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priley View Post
Lovely cars. I owned a couple of Dino coupes before buying my Spider as a basket case around ten years ago. I always regarded them as quite a unique and exotic car but a restoration project was the only way I could afford to own one. Fortunately current values have absorbed the costs and some.
And blasting around the English country lanes on a summer's evening is sublime.
Congratulations on your gorgeous FIAT Dino spider! Many miles of happy motoring to you! Fred

Last edited by 2GT; 04-21-2017 at 07:47 AM. Reason: sp.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Yes,lovely car indeed,especially in that colour.What happened to your coupes and do you prefer the spider.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:40 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Pete Riley
Thanks. The first coupe went to fund the Spider and the second, both as I was out of garage space having purchased the 355, went to fund my BMW motorbike. A shame the bike is now worth 10% of the Coupe...
The coupes are handsome cars but having never driven a Spider I took part in a shoot for Auto Italia magazine (my second 2.4 Coupe plus a 2.0 and 2.4 Spider) and had my first drive of one. I immediately realised I'd never choose to drive the Coupe over the Spider, once it was completed; the Spider is a much more agile car and the 2.0 engine much more free revving, not to mention the wind-in-the-hair aspect.
On a related note my second Coupe is the one on Wheeler Dealers. Not the car they purchased but the dark blue one shown as a good example. I sold it to a chap in Holland with a nice collection of Bertone designed exotica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73GDuzOG1iw
Non-Sponsor Ads