Finding my Dads Dino | FerrariChat

Finding my Dads Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by PaulK, Mar 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I am searching for my dads Dino.
    I dont know the serial number, or the VIN. He dosn't have any documentation.

But here is what I know-

Its a 246GT

My dad didn't buy it new so he wasnt the first owner.
    He bought it from a guy in Chicago.

I think its a USA model because of the yellow turn signals.

Red with black interior. The photos dont show it but I think it had daytona seats.

There are vents under the front grill

The licence plate is HTS 949, from Michigan.
    It had a 1978 registration tag on it.
    I dont know the year. Atleast not at this time of writing.

My dad said he probbly had it under the dealership, but the plate dosnt look like a dealer plate to me.

I tried searching the dinoregistry.com but there are no records.
    Arrgh! Nothing is easy anymore!

What can I do to find this car!!?! I must find it!!

Any help would be greatly appricated!! The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step, but driving sure beats walking.

TIA,

Paul Krajenke

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    www.dinoregister.com

Denny does a great job, but has since retired to Palm Springs so may be slow to respond.

Best luck in your search!

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Any additional information at all??

Owner he bought it from's name?

Guy he sold it to's name?

Anything at all???

You have a picture, right? Post it so we can see what we're working with.

There are quite a few of these floating around out here, so some details, any details, would be helpful.

Oh, and the easiest way to find out if it's US spec is to ask your dad if it had an MPH or KPH speedo.

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    My friend Richard Hinson in Michigan used to own Dino 246GT Coupe *03064*. According to the Dino Registry he bought it in Oct. '84, lived in Joliet, Illinois at the time running Autoweek Magazine. It was Rosso Bordeaux w/ Blk and Grey interior. He sold it to Dave Draper of "Time Machines" in northern Michigan who restored it (repainted yellow). was sold a couple of years ago. I've emailed Richard. In any case he may be able to lend a clue to further your search.

Freeman

5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm working on the pictures as we speak, but I have to snow blow the driveway first. . .

6. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Richard Hinson...now there's a name from the past. Wasn't he publisher of Autoweek before Leon Mandel?

Freeman, I believe you know my brother, Christopher A. Sawyer, ex-Autoweek, now with Automobile Manufacturing & Production...he speaks well of you.

Paul, Good luck on your search. There's not much to go on, but that's what makes the search an adventure! I assume your Dad owned Krajenke Buick?

7. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Doesa he remember anyone who serviced it? SOmetimes those guys keep records forever. Algar has records back to the 60's in their attic.

Might be worth a shot.

DM

8. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Have your dad go down to the Michigan DMV and give them the above information.
    Ask for a copy of HIS old DMV registration information. Due to the Driver Safety Protection Act of 1996 (anti-stalking law), they probably won't give you any information on other owners. But they might give your dad a copy of HIS old registration information provided that HE HIMSELF applies for the information. The old 1978 registration information will probably have the VIN number of the car on the paperwork. At least that will give you the serial number to work with.
    I used to go down to the Arkansas DMV all the time and track down Corvette serial numbers and license plates. But everything changed when Congress passed that driver safety act. They did that after actress Rebecca Schaefer was murdered by a wacko stalker in California. He had hired a private detective to locate her using DMV records. Nowadays, they will only release info concerning YOUR ownership, and not anybody elses info. The fun was over for me and tracking down old Corvettes. The Corvette well had pretty much dried up by then anyway.

9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #9 PaulK, Mar 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I dont think thats the one. My dad bought it before '84. Thanks for the help though.

Yeah, he did actually. How did you hear about it if you don't mind me asking? You dont live in Michigan...

Everyone thanks for your help so far! Even though we havn't reached a breakthough, we ARE getting closer! Thanks!

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Richard Hinson just emailed me back. He said he used to caddy for Russ Krajenke and Tommy Talkington at the Red Run Golf Course in Royal Oak Michigan in the 50's. He's putting his feelers out.

Freeman

12. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just talked to my Dad. He says he thinks the guys name who he bought it from was Dave Dorrin out of Chicago. He was big into GM design, and had a modded corvette and a motorhome(?).

My dad also says he was a member of the Ferrari owners club back when he had the car too, if that helps...

Also, he thinks he bought the car in 1972 or 1973, and had it for about 5 years.

Also he says the guy that serviced it was a guy up in Port Huron.

Thanks for all the help B.T.W.!

13. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Was the motorhome a modified custom? About 2 years ago, I ran across a guy who had 1953 Marmon Harrington bus that had been modified into a custom motorhome. He was trying to sell this custom motorhome, and he said that he bought it from a guy who worked for GM up in the north part of the country. This bus was really nice for its era. The GM employee had converted the side windows into forward slanting windows from a Greyhound bus. It was very nice. Powered by a 318 Dodge engine in the rear. Real 1940s looking. (The guy changed his mind about selling it. Last time I drove by his place, it was still there.)

14. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

He bought it used, right?

So, can't be 72, unless the guy he bought it from only had it for a few months, as 72 was the first model year for the US spec GT.

Keep diggin' we'll get this sorted out.

But that would for sure make it a model year '72 246GT, wouldn't it, even if he bought it in '73.

15. dino246

dino246 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Rock Hill, SC
    I would say it will be 72 model. I can see the picture which wiper parked at center. Sometime in 72 for USA Model, it changed to both parked at passenger side. My car 04256 (June 72) was already changed to passenger side.

16. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia

I grew up in Dearborn, lived in the Detroit area for 45 years. I've been in Georgia just over a year.

17. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #17 PaulK, Mar 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I will ask my Dad tonight, but I dont think he would remember. I'll let you know what I find out.

I asked my dad about the names and none of them sound filmilliar to him. Maybe my Dad can't remember? Please let me know what happens. Thanks.

Since you lived in Dearborn, have you heard of Superior Pontiac Buick GMC?

BTW, the licence plate, under the letters, next to the wavy white lines says 76 I think, does that mean its a 76 plate with an expiration in 78?

Thanks for all your help guys!!

19. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia

Sure, I've heard of them. If I'm not mistaken they were on the south side of Michigan Avenue between Greenfield and Schaeffer Rd.

At one point in my career I did a lot of marketing and advertising work with car dealers. I never met any of the Krajenkes, though.

20. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I just took a look at the website for the State of Michigan Secretary of State, and if you look around, you can find information on how to order a title history based on the license plate number, for a $7.00 fee. You would have to find out whether their records go back as far as 1978, and whether they could release the information to a former owner, as opposed to a current owner. But there is a possibility that they could give you a VIN number based on a license plate number. Might be worth a phone call, the numbers are listed on the website.

21. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
  22. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My Dad said the car was repainted. The original color was yellow.

The only reason why I asked was because thats where I work, the owner is very good friends with my dad and he is teaching me.

I am going to give them a call tommorow. Thanks for the heads up!

Thank you all agian for your help! One small step for a man...

23. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

Paul, good luck with your project. What are you going to do when you find this car ??

24. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I called the SOS today and they cant do anything. They only keep records for ten years. :(
    Anyone have anything else to go on?

25. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Ask your dad or mom if they have anything, anything that would have the VIN # or who their Insurance agent was at the time to see if that can give us the vin.... paperwork insurance or even a accounting report of assets for a mortgage application or something that would have the vin

with that all is posable