ferrari 246 Gt motor rebuilding questions | FerrariChat

ferrari 246 Gt motor rebuilding questions

Discussion in '206/246' started by benicia 2600, Oct 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. benicia 2600

benicia 2600 Rookie

May 18, 2012
    Help needed this is my first dino engine..

I am doing a full engine rebuilding on my 246 motor and i would like to know if it is better to use the aluminum screw on plug in the heads or the brass type used by superformance. Dino parts in germany is also selling brass plugs. Did ferrari use aluminum plugs for cost saving or to avoid electrolysis?
    Any suggestion where i could find original aluminum plugs.
    I am thinking about purchasing CPS pistons from Italy . Does anyone have any experience with those pistons. The one on my motor had been replaced with new ones and the exhaust valves seem to have taped the pistons on the right bank. A friend of mine recently did an engine using superformance pistons and his machine shop had to machine the pistons on the exhaust side to enlarge the cut out...
    How do i find infos about the profile of the standard cam shafts? The on in this motor look fine, but i am not sure they are standard, or that they have not been re profiled..
    Should the bearing bolts be lubricated before torquing?
    Thanks for your help..
    Hervé

2. dino clay

dino clay Karting

Oct 31, 2007
    san mateo, cal
    Full Name:
    clay cavanaugh
    caution the large valve cut out goes to the exhuast
    do not use any forged pistons they are for super charge ed engines and very heavy Best pistons are mondial from italy, I do not know if they are in business any more but are original in european models
    camshfts can be ground by jimmy dour in san rafael cal. to original specs, do not use any high performance grinds
    oil all bolts and threads but never pur oil into a blind hole, the oil will act like a hydraulic piston and crack the block or whatever you are screwing into goog luck clay