Drivers door hinge pin wear | FerrariChat

Drivers door hinge pin wear

Discussion in '206/246' started by pk246gt, Nov 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi there,

The shut lines on the drivers door are nice when the door is closed but when in the 'almost closed position' the door can be rocked up and down a little with a bump/ride up on the latch.

Can't adjust the striker latch to get the door to shut smoothly so my question is regarding hinge pin selection.

Ideally I'd like to prior order the new hinge pins, then take the door off (pins are not rusted in and will come out OK), and change them over etc.

I searched the forum which yielded some info/images but my questions are:

What's generally worn - the pin or the bush, or both?

How do I know which replacement pins to get; i.e. standard or oversize e.g. (a la Superformance)?

Thanks,

Paul.

2. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    You need to take the door off and measure / inspect to see what you need before you buy, they may be oversize already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    They make Stainless door pins which in my opinion is a bad idea.

The pin needs to be the softer (sacrificial) material than the hinge bracket otherwise the wear will be the other way around!! Not good.

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #4 synchro, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The hinge pins are offset in the door "pocket" without good access. By far one of the most difficult tasks on a Dino. The artistic body had to be pragmatically produced and the hinge pins are where function followed form. Lathed down the shafts of 3" bolts to make Trial pins slightly undersized so they fit close but are easily removed with fingers. Set a trial pin in one and you can work on the other, the hinge pins need to be custom fit
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Guys.
    That's good advise all round.

I'll whip them out, measure and make some new ones - with grease nipples of course ;-)

6. dino clay

dino clay Karting

Oct 31, 2007
    san mateo, cal
    Full Name:
    clay cavanaugh
    you can purchase oversize pins and ream out the holes to next size they come w/grease fittings you will ahve to buy a piloted reamer from an auto machine shop site clay

7. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Clay.

Do you know what diameter size(s) are offered in the over-sized pins (and who would you suggest as supplier)?

Paul

8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #8 pshoejberg, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Peter, thanks for the info

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Your first photo shows how absolutely crazy this task is.
    Ferrari designed the doors with an interfernce on that top edge.

Mating PininFarina's 4th best all time design with that wonderful 1955 racing engine had to end up with compromises somewhere and manufacturing got stuck with the dirty task.

You are bending the hinges to make them fit - I have heard this a number of times!

11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    You are bending the hinges to make them fit - I have heard this a number of times![/QUOTE]

It should not ne necessary to bend the hinges if you ensure good alignment while dressing the hinges (Easier said than done). You can make small bending adjustments using the door as a lever, but I liked the idea of making that simple tool to avoid using the door. I only had to make minor adjustments to one of the four hinges to get the doors to fit. It is my understanding that it is more or less normal procedure to fine adjust the door fit by manipulating the doors, so you should not worry if you have to.

Regards Peter