Flat or satin black paint under front bumper? | FerrariChat

Flat or satin black paint under front bumper?

Discussion in '206/246' started by abstamaria, Dec 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I'm cleaning up the valance below the front bumper and will probably need to respray this. Are this and the corresponding rocker and rear panels painted flat black or satin black? I see some evidence of thicker undercoating or rubberized paint on the front valance, and wonder whether some aress received that treatment?

I did do a search of the forum, but couldn't turn up any information on this. I'm sure it has been discussed before, so my apologies.

Andres

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I just handed my copy of The Dino Compendium over to the painters when both of my Dinos needed painting and each did a great job from the wonderful photos

3. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #3 isuk, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Andres,

I used satin black on all of my cars. #04054 was still in it's factory paint and although it was over 40 years old and very weathered it was clear in some of the more protected areas that the original finish had more of a sheen than a simple matt finish would have. Ferrari carried on using this same process of applying a black satin top protection layer to door shut/under bonnet areas all the way through to the F430 models.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I have the book, Scott. I had forgotten to check! I will now. Thanks.

Thanks, too, Iain.

Andres

5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Iain, according to the Compendium, my 1973 E Dino should have a matte finish. I do see in some areas a satin finish and wondered whether that wasca result of constant wiping over time. You could be right.

Andres

6. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    As an old guy who was around in the early '70s, I think "matte" would be the correct choice.
    Back then, at least in the US, there was no such thing as satin black-- what existed was called "flat black" and the purpose was to be non-reflective. It was used on aircraft engine nacelles to prevent light reflecting into a pilot's eyes and on the hoods of competition cars for the same purpose.

In the early 70's manufacturers like Opel and Ford painted part or all of the hood flat black on their Rallye or whatever model to denote it as the performance version. These areas were flat black and if one got any paste wax on them it was a ***** to get off because the surface was very coarse.

In Europe at this time I saw lots of cars where the young owner had painted the hood flat black just to look bad-ass.

7. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #7 isuk, Dec 20, 2015
    Satin black paint was available when these cars were built. Take a look at the photo of the Dino Berlinetta Competizione in Matthias' Dino Compendium on page 44. The front and rear wings are both finished in satin black. Fiat also used this same finish for the hood of the 124 Abarth Rally car. You can see the reflective sheen on the hood in this period promo photo - true matt black has no light reflective properties.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #8 GermanDino, Dec 20, 2015
  9. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Flat black, Matthias? The black areas are lower there than on my car.

Thanks, Matthias.

10. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #10 GermanDino, Dec 21, 2015
  11. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, Matthias!

Andres

12. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Andres, Your Dino and mine are very close in series production. Mine had satin black when new, and I have had it redone in the same finish. Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2016! Regards, Fred

13. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, Fred.

With best wishes for the holidays and the New Year,

Andres

14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, Fred.

With best wishes for the holidays and the New Year,

Andres

15. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    I have a related question: my US E-series GTS (# 08250) has black paint that doesn't go as far up the side as the Dino Compendium describes. Could someone tell me exactly how far down off the edge of the door the black paint should be.

Thanks in advance and happy New Year!

16. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    I have seen many restorations with the black ending at the bend crease under the door which seems like a logical place to end the black on the rocker panels- but the factory as far as my car did not do this.

I do not have the Compendium but I have owned mine since '74 and from the factory mine had the black cut line about 1" (do not quote me) above the crease. This helped with the transition of the black under the doors to the black/color transition in the front of the fender to the belly and black/color transition at the rear fender to the rear of the car.

17. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  18. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    All the models up to and including the early E series cars had the lower blacking up to the height of the crease fold on the side rocker panels. This was changed with the introduction of the revised E series models in the Autumn of 1972 when the front lower clip panel was redesigned with the new round air intakes and the changed central lower air intake which did away with the need for the removable cold weather panel that the earlier cars had. The new black line was raised above that side panel crease line to nearly 2". The corresponding lines around the front and rear clips were also raised to match this line. The lines on many restored cars are often incorrect for their model series/production date as most body shops and/or owners wouldn't have noticed this sort of detail. There is a well known restorer here in the UK who does not follow either of the original factory line positions but instead has adopted a hybrid version somewhere between the two as he apparently says that is what his customers prefer. Many shops find it hard to get the line correct on the later E series cars with the round front air intakes as it takes a lot of time to get the masking lines correct. As a result you will spot some odd lines that curve around either above or below these areas.

19. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Being that I just finished going through my 72' 04124, I can not stress how important the details are. Everyone has the ability with all the knowledge and great people on the Chat to be accurate with any restoration. The shop will not necessarily know you the owner are responsible. Just in this posting I notice such inaccurate paint lines of the color versus the black. People should make sure of the proper configuration. Matthias's book and pictures included show the proper OEM configuration for a 72" dino. GOOD LUCK!!
    If anyone needs further pictures just ask?

20. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    I agree and am thus asking for the exact measurements for '74 Dino - it is hard for the restoration shop to tell from Matthias's book exactly where the black line should be.

21. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    For the 74' dino I have a 72'. I do not know if measurements are critical it is more based on car landmarks since each car was made by hand, more than likely that is how it was painted following the cars markings. Use Matthias' book and match the points on your car as I did. GL

22. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    At some point, if memory is not too far gone, I think Matthias once mentioned that at the Factory,
    they used to brush, not spray, the black on the cars?

Am I crazy Matthias?

Happy New Year

Alberto

23. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    no, you are not.... :)

24. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you Matthias, so how would you apply it, badger hair, synthetic bristles, or a cheap brush from Costco :) ?

Best, Alberto

25. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    go for the cheap brush from Costco ;-)