New Dino 246GT owner! Advice wanted! | FerrariChat

New Dino 246GT owner! Advice wanted!

Discussion in '206/246' started by dino2X6lover, Jan 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    Hi All,

I've been reading through these forums over the past few months and it has been an incredible source of insight and knowledge for me being a first time Dino (and Ferrari) owner.

My car is being delivered next week!!! Needless to say, I'm having sleepless nights and have a constant feeling of butterflies in my stomach!

I'm writing to ask if any of you would be willing to share your experience being a Dino owner, maybe how you best drive the car, things to watch out for, any upgrades worth making, any organizations to join or publications to follow, or any other insight you'd like to share which has made being a Dino owner or driver more pleasant.

I've been a passionate lover of Dinos since I first saw one almost 20 years ago. It feels like a dream come true.

Many thanks

CC

[​IMG]

CC

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    How about starting with the sticky at the top of this section ?

That in turn may lead to lots of other useful older threads within this section (some of which you may have missed)

3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    congratulations . they are really fun little cars. best of luck

4. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Congratulations and welcome to FChat. You will have fun driving the Dino.

5. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Congratulations, your car looks great! It will give you lots of enjoyment, I am sure.
    Butterflies in the stomach are entirely understandable.

My advice - for what it is worth - is to take your time to become one with the car. Ignore your initial impressions of some roughness in the operation. Dinos were never perfect and that is part of their charm. After a while, you will love it for its personality. The shift linkage, in particular, can seem a bit awkward in the beginning, but you will soon learn how to handle it. It requires firm, decisive - but never, ever, forceful - movements. Then it actually works very well and will allow you to shift very quickly.
    Other than that, the car is an absolute delight to drive. It has light, precise handling both on winding roads and high speed runs.

My second advice may be a bit controversial. Some members on this forum will disagree with me, but here it is: Once you are familiar with the car, find an empty road and go through the gears at full throttle to the red line! And do it often. That is the spirit of Dino ownership. Otherwise you will miss out on major part of the enjoyment of the Dino. I don't believe in "babying" vintage sports cars. A Dino is not a porcelain doll, it's a sports car. They actually love being driven in a spirited way. If you want to play it a bit safe, shift at 7000 rpm instead. You gain very little at last 800 rpm anyway, with a stock engine.

Things to watch for? Dinos are not particularly troublesome. My impression is that the engines are pretty much bullet-proof, the transmissions perhaps less so. But I already mentioned not using force on the shifter. Two things that are worth keeping an eye on, though, are the starting and charging systems. The starting system is adequate but it has very small safety margins, so both the starter and the battery has to be kept in good condition. Always keep an eye on the ammeter so you know that the battery is fully charged when you turn off the car. Then it should start easily next time.

But, other than that, just drive it regularly, drive it often, and treasure every moment of it!

6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The dino is not only beautiful but fun. I have owned mine for 4 years now and i guess the areas i have repaired are the ignition system has kind of a quirky system but reproduction replacements that look identical are easily sourced then the carburetors if you have popping or rough running might as well go right to cleaning and rebuilding them again a very inexpensive maintinance item , the only improvement that i have made is the gear reduction starter . My car went from difficult to start to starts every time with the installation of this easily sourced item(search this forum there are lots of specific threads on this)
    you will enjoy the car and the first time you see a MIATA in the rear view mirror you will appreciate how small she is.

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    My second advice may be a bit controversial. Some members on this forum will disagree with me, but here it is: Once you are familiar with the car, find an empty road and go through the gears at full throttle to the red line! And do it often. That is the spirit of Dino ownership. Otherwise you will miss out on major part of the enjoyment of the Dino. I don't believe in "babying" vintage sports cars. A Dino is not a porcelain doll, it's a sports car. They actually love being driven in a spirited way. If you want to play it a bit safe, shift at 7000 rpm instead. You gain very little at last 800 rpm anyway, with a stock engine.

Things to watch for? Dinos are not particularly troublesome. My impression is that the engines are pretty much bullet-proof, the transmissions perhaps less so. But I already mentioned not using force on the shifter. Two things that are worth keeping an eye on, though, are the starting and charging systems. The starting system is adequate but it has very small safety margins, so both the starter and the battery has to be kept in good condition. Always keep an eye on the ammeter so you know that the battery is fully charged when you turn off the car. Then it should start easily next time.

[/QUOTE]
    Excellent advice. Dino's somehow became concours queens here in the US, people think that they are delicate and need to be driven gently. They are Ferrari's with six cylinders and need to be driven in "spirited" fashion. I don't know about shifting at redline but 6500 is certainly fine.

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #8 synchro, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    Welcome!

You're going to have a great time with this car, very engaging and a thrill to the senses but a few things make it even better:

1) Go out and buy the Momo Prototipo steering wheel (as fitted to the 308 and later). This will be an amazing transformation of the steering in your hands and you will enjoy the twisties much more.

2) If you're using the Marelli AEC-103 ignition system then consider a new spark box like Adrian's thread here advises.

3) Before you put your new Dino on the road, make sure the engine is free of oil drips as this simple issue causes so many problems. Periodically wipe it down and tighten the cover nuts, Watch your alternator for oil drips on it and clean those off or it will fail)

4) ONLY use Redline 75-90W NS gear oil in the transaxle

5) There is nothing below 2000 RPMs for you, upon take up pass this quickly, the Dino is a Rev'er not a Torque'er

Forza!

Scott

9. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .

Thanks greyboxer, the sticky has a ton of useful references. Thanks!

CC

10. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    DinoLasse + LarryH + 375 + synchro, thanks for the insights!

This is the type of insight you can't really learn from a book. The insights you only get from having the history of driving, feeling, and "becoming one" with the car. I will check into each and everyone of these comments and have already reread the thread 4 times over the past couple of days. I really appreciate it!

I love classic cars. My first classic daily driver was a 1970 Porsche 911E. For the past 9 years, my daily driver has been a 1964 Porsche 356C. I so can't wait to drive this Dino in a "spirited" fashion!

My Dino was supposed to arrive yesterday and has been delayed. I'm hoping it will come by tomorrow at least.

Please keep the insights and wisdom coming! Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

CC

11. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I agree with all responses to the original post. This coming May I will celebrate 40 years of ownership of the same 246 GT. When I purchased it in 1976, it was (almost) state of the art for a non-twelve-cylinder Ferrari. Now, it is down on power and torque compared with most any other vehicle on the market. The point, as made by some of the other posters, is that it was built to rev and corner. Drive it with that in mind, and you will be in on a secret that very few auto enthusiasts will ever discover: it's not the fastest, but it just might be the most fun. Congratulations, and many happy miles in your new Dino! Fred

12. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

If you have not already done so, have a good mechanic go over the safety bits for you. Make sure the brakes, steering, suspension and tires are all in good working order.

Sounds obvious, but it's not. Check to make sure the tires aren't 20 years old. Nothing scarier or more dangerous (except for not making sure the brakes work correctly) than skating around on old, hard tires.

Put the original tools and manuals in the house. Take them ALL out of the car. The jack is scary and dangerous to use, the tools are priceless to replace, as are the manuals and pouch. Get copies of the manual (readily available) and stick one of those in the glove box.

Watch for fuel leaks. Old lines can lead to leaks.

Carry some spare fuses, nothing like blowing a fuse on one of these in the middle of nowhere.

Jumper cables too. Just like a real car. There's an excellent thread here somewhere about what ot take with you in the car. A search might turn it up.

Subscribe here. Pay the $15. Gives you access to the rest of the site, which is just as amazing as the Dino subforum.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    These were my experiences. I'm sure some will disagree

Never use the choke-- ever.

Don't pump the gas pedal before starting. Crank it and move the pedal down until the engine fires. If it's cold then it's ok to pump the pedal but don't flood it

A sticky clutch pedal means the cable needs replacing. It's not hydraulic like a normal car
    The headlights are terrible so be aware at night

Don't be surprised if it grinds going into 2nd gear. In fact it's often best to double clutch or go 1st to 3rd until the gearbox warms up

If you smell a little oil burning from the engine compartment it's probably the distributor leaking a drop or two. If that's what it is it's not a big issue. Very common

The stalks are very fragile. Be careful getting in and out that you don't hit it with your knee.
    Rust is a killer. Be very careful washing especially the Windows

This car is incredibly easy to hot wire. Put in an alarm or kill switch.

Be careful about long periods of stop and go traffic. The alternator likes to burn out from heat in the rear compartment and the fans running constantly.

14. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    The car just arrived in its full glory!

It was low on fuel, so I drove it a couple miles and back - wow even a better feeling than I remember. I didn't love the attention I was getting at the pump though, but I guess that comes with the territory of driving a red Ferrari. But man, the feeling as I was taking off at the lights and cornering a turn was fantastic! Love the sound of the engine revving.

dm_n_stuff, the car was supposed to be fully checked and things were fixed on it prior to arrival. But it was leaking a dark brown fluid from the engine and there was continuous smoke coming out of there while I was driving 😢. Will send it Monday to get everything checked including tires etc as you suggest and also put my jumper cables in the car.

TheMayor, I typically pump the gas pedal before starting my 356 so used your method and it worked perfect. I did have to shift from 1st to third while the engine was cold because it was harder to push into 2nd. I already have a kill switch which is great.

Thanks everyone the advice! Im super excited each time I see the Dino covered in my garage. Can't wait to fix all the issues so I can go out and drive!!

CC

15. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    Here are pics of the leak [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

CC

16. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #16 synchro, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Congratulations, now you're getting the feeling to sit behind the wheel.
    The Dino Is So Special!
    "...Take a Dino down the road and listen to the noise..."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ppdTBN7MYw

Detail that engine and clean up any oil drips then tighten the 6mm sump and cam box nuts - I'll bet you find a few are loose.
    These are Italian engines so drips are not unexpected but they can lead to bad results like slipping the H2O pump belt, ruining alt bearings or shorting out your alternator while burning up your Alternator Fuse box $$$.

Change oil at 1500-2000 miles, these are carb'ed cars and run rich

Thanks for the pics. Looks like it is coming from around the engine front, between the Oil filler caps. One thought is a leak in the oil cap; the 2 big chrome caps should be sung Clockwise and have a seal inside.

To get a better look at the suspect area, jack up the right rear, remove theRR wheels and inner fender splash panel then have a good look at it, everything should be visible.

This area also routes the overflow tank outflow tube so seeing water/coolant in the ground near your photo is common.
    Most new owners top off the tank behind the engine diligently to ensure a full tank, which is a very good intention. Practically, it needs a few inches of air in it for expansion-contraction in a heat cycle so will self-level by spitting out and the tube goes to the ground.

Hint: you can attach photos to your reply so all can see. When you reply, after typing yext you must scroll way down to the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS block
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sure doesn't look like they changed the oil, otherwise it would be a lot cleaner looking. Get 'er checked stem to stern, these have become too valuable to leave that to chance.

If you decide to snug up the nuts on the bottom of the engine it's 96 INCH pounds of torque. And if you're going to do that, make sure they put new bellville washers on while they're at it, they're cupped, and what were (I'm told) originally used on the car. (I have some if you need them, left over from my days of owning a dino. Also have a **** load of the nuts as well, PM me if you'd like them.

Dave

18. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    Congratulations!

Nice looking Dino! You wil enjoy driving it, I´m sure.

As "dm_n_stuff" said,chek the suspension, especially have a look on the suspension bushings, as they often are cracked and have some play. They seem to be expensive, but changing from bad to new, it will not only make it safer but much more fun to drive!

As already said, as long as the gearbox is cold, don´t use the second gear. It is expensive and quite labor intensive to change...

(maybe You find original sidemarkers (the small ones) as they seem a little to big...)

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Only $16 each on Ebay, that doesn't look expensive to me

20. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    OK, thats cheap.

Last time i checked the prices in the US, they were way more expensive ;)

21. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

link? not all that easy to find amid the flotsam and jetsam of ebay.

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  23. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    Everyone, thanks for the perspective!

Synchro, it sounds like this may not be a big issue if your hunch is right (hoping you are!). I just moved to a new place so all my tools/gear is in boxes. Im actually not as handy as I want to be so I'm looking to build some experience points with this car. I'm going to try to send the car to get looked at at Canepa or Grand Prix Motors in Campbell (heard Juan can be busy though but will try as my first choice). I'm using an iPhone app called Tapatalk to post on the forum so unsure if I can attach as you mention but I'll try on this note.

Dm_n_stuff, I attached a photo after I checked the oil. Looks clean so maybe it's another fluid? I'm definitely going to get the car fully checked as you suggest. I see my car has quite a few non original nuts etc. will PM you for details on what you have.

Mechaniker, yes the side markers are big and bother me each time I see them. Will try to find some and replace them. Thanks for the links to the parts.

I've attached more photos I took today. Pic 1: top view of engine. Pic 2-4: taken from ground looking up at engine. Pic 5: oil check.

In my previous post, I posted a pic of where the fluid splashed up onto the inside of the engine cover. When I put my hand over the top of the engine, the fan belt seemed to be spitting the dark fluid up into my hand. Not sure if this tells you anything more.

Anyways, this community is amazing! I can't believe the warm welcome and all the thoughtful comments. Thanks everyone.

Just can't stop listening to that engine :D Even though I can't drive the car, I really cannot complain each time I see the Dino in my garage. Life is too good!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

CC

24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Juan is an excellent choice and is worth the wait.

25. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #25 synchro, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wow, looks very nice and you do have the standard few drips I warned about, they even got to the suspension. Check the 6mm nuts for tightness on everything from cam covers to gaskets and I'll be a few have backed off a turn or two. The oil pressure relief seems to be dripping to (mine also!)

Your castings look fantastic so you haven't had drips for long.
    Wipe that engine down, tighten the fasteners and you're good to go.

From an armchair vantage point, this car looks very original and complete.
    I see that you have the rare, correct grey duct hose, correct boot for the oil pressure sensor, LOBO suspension bolts, and nice plating on the CV joints and bushings. The 2 oil hoses look original because they have a rubber exterior (not SS) so perhaps they should checked for cracks because of age.