Dino exhaust tips Chrome problem | FerrariChat

Dino exhaust tips Chrome problem

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Jan 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #1 synchro, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Anyone have a recommendation for a chrome shop that can chrome exhaust tips?

I'm trying to restore rather than replace my original Ansa exhaust system and am having difficulty with chroming the tips, has anyone else restored theirs?

While the basic muffler section is solid and a great candidate for ceramic coating, the tips' chrome is pitted. I can't find the correct replacement size resonator tips so that means removing the originals and plating. I have been around and around with my local plater for well over a year+ and I still don't have my tips back from chroming. I started talking to other platers and am finding the same concern.

The issue is that the carbon build up inside the tips will contaminate the nickel tank. I've put in quite a bit of effort to hot tank them several times, drill out inside holes then sandblast insides and I've provided 3 different end seals each to their liking. I've even been flexible enough to suggest they do it just before changing tank solutions, but so far nothing.

Anyone got a chrome plater who can chrome Dino exhaust tips?
    Thank you
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The only people I know that can do such work are in Jamestown, N.Y. That being said any wooden runabout boat restoration shop should be able to help you. On the west coast I would try Sierra Classics on Lake Tahoe.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sounds like they are not very hungry....contact some platers in Houston, as the oil bidness has tapered off somewhat.

You may need to pay extra for ruining the tank chemicals, not sure, or it may effect the plating process?
    Say more about their reservations....

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I would PM OMGJON.

He has an amazing chrome shop literally just down the street from him.

It is who he uses. I went by there, and was very impressed. They do things right and at price that makes sense.

Shawn